PDA

View Full Version : Tank Quality ?

Bartman
11-28-2003, 12:03 AM
I'm looking to get into a bigger system and I'm just starting to check out different tanks. The dimensions I like are 48x18x20, predrilled. There are quite a few manufacturers out there (Hagen, Seastar, Oceanic, All Glass, IA, etc) and I'm wondering what people's experience has been with some of these brands (or others) in terms of quality. What have you liked/not liked etc. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

LostMind
11-28-2003, 12:05 AM
I have a 48x24x24 seastar and the glass is a bit green tinted.

Canadian Man
11-28-2003, 12:56 AM
Very Happy with my 230 Inter Americian Tank. You could also get the options you want with them. eg. Starphire glass, polished edges, black or clear silicone eurobracing/no bracing, overflow where ever you want it.

The problem you run into with your location is the fact that you will have to pay for shipping.

Much to think about.
you can make your decision more complicated than It needs to be or very simple.

Bartman
11-29-2003, 06:30 AM
I have a 48x24x24 seastar and the glass is a bit green tinted.

Other than Starfire glass is there any way to avoid this? Does anyone recommend a tank they particularly like?

LostMind
11-29-2003, 07:36 AM
To be honest bartman, I dunno. This is really my first large tank (only had small freshwater many years ago)... I think the thickness of the glass is the main problem. But I am sure there are higher quality glasses available that would be MUCH clearer - starfire, etc.

Bartman
12-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Anyone else have a comment? Anyone have an Oceanic or Hagen tank?

IslandReefer
12-03-2003, 11:57 AM
I just checked into IA, in Calgary, to order my new 120gal. IA was recommended to me by Stircrazy (Steve). Mitch ,the guy to talk to, was very helpful as well as being quite a colorful personallity. He said that they routinely sell to those "anal retentive" reefers at Reefkeeping.com as well as several tanks in Victoria. This should speak well about their quality.
He also gave me the name of the last tank customer from Vic, PM me if you would like to contact this person and ask about his IA tank. As was mentioned before IA has most all the options needed in any custom tank.
I was quoted $650 for my 120g 48x24x24, with overflow(2 holes drilled)+ 1 back-side (LoL) hole( for my closed loop), includes all bulkheads, euro bracing, painted back,ground and polished edges as well as front and both sides in Starphire glass. Shipping to Victoria, off the top of Mitch's head, is about $100.I do not know if this price includes such things as taxes ,insurance etc. He did say it was a good price. I will finalize the order after the Xmas crunch on my wallet, but I think I will likely go with the IA tank,( mostly because of the Starfire glass). A normal(green glass) "Reef-ready" Oceanic (sp?)or Seastar, in Victoria, was quoted to me as apx350+holes drilled(15-$25ea)+overflow ending up to be in the order of $450. I expect that most,if not,all the extra cost at IA is the Starfire glass.
I really recommend this glass , in front at least, for all who want clear colorless glass at the thicknesses needed. That is...no popbottle green in your reef pictures....Yahhhhh.
I will be able to tell more when the truck arrives with my new beauty. Reports and rep. are good but proof will come when I cast my very critical eyes on my new baby. I have confidence and high hopes.
Merrry Christmas to meeee.., Merry Christmas to meeee...
Best of the Season, hope this helps,
John

martym
12-03-2003, 12:23 PM
I have a 55g 48x13x20 I think. For sale. It is on a home made stand. Tempered glass so it can't be drilled. It is from Petsmart so I don't know the brand. I've had cichlids and reef in it with no problems. It is set up and running if you want to look at it. I'm in the Fleetwood area.PM me if you are interested.

Chin_Lee
12-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Just ordered from IA a 180 g 72x24x24 with eurobracing, polished vertical edges, eurobracing, starphire glass, black silicone, exterior overflow on one of the short ends, two holes for 1.5" bulkheads in overflow, 1 return hole beside overflow for 1" bulkhead, all three bulkheads included for $1000. Shipping $100, taxes $77, total $1177 at my front steps. Will be ready in about 3 weeks. WAITING.............. :biggrin:

Jason McK
12-03-2003, 02:22 PM
I have had three tanks the first two were Oceanic 72G Bow front. They were replaced because they leaked with in 4 months. I now have a AGA 75G and it has been flawless for over 8 months.
I truly believe the problem with the Oceanics was in the stand as both tanks were on the same stand and leaked in the same spot.

J

Seriak
12-03-2003, 05:15 PM
I have a 90g Oceanic Bowfront. Very happy with it although I don't think I would by Bow front again.

andestang
12-04-2003, 04:04 AM
I have two tanks, one is oceanic which I've had for 7 yrs and bought used - it shows that it was made in '91 - never had a problem with it, even has been moved several times :confused: My newest is a IA which I had custom made, that was the most important thing with getting a new one. Very difficult to get that with a brand name tank. Know several others with IA and never heard of any complaints - very good deal with. :mrgreen:

Bartman
12-07-2003, 08:55 PM
I have had three tanks the first two were Oceanic 72G Bow front. They were replaced because they leaked with in 4 months. I now have a AGA 75G and it has been flawless for over 8 months.
I truly believe the problem with the Oceanics was in the stand as both tanks were on the same stand and leaked in the same spot.

J

Do you like the colour through the glass on the AGA? Where did you get it?

Jason McK
12-08-2003, 12:16 AM
I haven't really noticed a "colour" in the glass it's pretty neutral. I got the AGA from Hidden Reef in Abbotsford, It was actually Animal House at the time. But it was Mike, Dale and Jason that worked there tail off to get me the Tank as fast as possible. I'm pretty sure they can get you any tank you want, even custom stuff.

J