PDA

View Full Version : advice for my new set-up

reefwars
09-10-2010, 12:44 AM
hey guys so im in the planning process of my tank build, i have my dimensions which are 48"x42"x20". sump not designed yet but has a large area to work wit:)im looking for some info on some more modern things like reactors dosers and monitors etc. ive been googling things and ive been browsing j&l's site for references so ill add a list and if someone could tell me what they think or their experiences or recommendations that would be a great start:)

auto top off- can i get a tank custom made for holding water where i have a large footprint under my tank that could fit above my sump or besaide and where its a walk around tank i cant have barrels or hoses running around ????

reactors-calcium,phosban,fluidized?? have never owned them i run carbon but not in a reactor but id like to with my new set up ,should i have all these or just some even if they are not needed in the beginning i would like to budget for it and have it in corporated into my design for later thanks:)

chillers- im not going to be having fans available for this set up so im going to have to go the chiller route or air conditioner .if i go chiller whats the pros and cons as ive never owned one and are they pricey for a 150g more than an air conditioner??

pin point monitors and probes,testers= never had any of them but sounds like i should looking for as much info on these as possible and which ones i would need:)

controllers-i want everything to be digital on this set up id like to run it from my pc and controler if possible, looking for some info on their price how they operate and how reliable they are plus any neat bonuses i may not know about:)

uv sterilizer-under my tank?? how does it work are they pricey do they last long should i have one ??????

i want to make this set up as modern and as automated as possible plus safe.which is the exact opposite of all my other set ups.ive always manually cleaned dose tested added and watched for problems lol:)i dont know what ill have for livestock yet the skys the limit:):)

anyone have anything else they can think of to add to my list would be greatly appreciated:)

globaldesigns
09-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Hey Reefwars,

Good to see another new build, will love to stay with this thread to see your progress.

Auto top-off: I personally use the tunze model, it isn't cheap, but it has never failed me, and with infra-red sensor it is the most accurate. I do hear others with DIY models, so maybe someone can forward you a design plan.

Reactors: I personally run 3 reactors, 2 deltecs for my NP bioPellets, and one for the carbon... they just allow water to flow nicely through things for maximum exposure the the media.

Chillers: I don't personally run one, house is climate controlled, so I am lucky. Personally I wouldn't buy one right away. See how all the equipment runs with the system and how it increases the water temp. if you need one, then seek one out.

Pin Point Monitors: Personally I would love a high-end Mg or Ca, don't have either yet, and Mg isn't available. One day I will be able to buy both, and save money on test kits. For PH, Temp, ALK I would just use test kits, they are cheaper than any probe.

Controllers: sure if it is in the budget. I myself want one, but don't have a clue what to buy.

UV sterilizer: This will depend what you are going to have and how you are going to manage them. If you are doing a reef, and running Zeo, BioPellets or anything like that, then I don't recomment the UV. If you also have sufficient skimming and filtration, then again I don't recomment UV. It will all depend on your decisions.

My suggestions:
- don't go budget on the skimmer, get high quality and make sure it can handle more than what your system is.
- with a reef environment I would also invest in flow. Look at the Vortech's. They are not cheap, but well worth the money
- Lighting is also key, I personally recommend MH (Metal Halide), but many have great success with T5HO's... Do your research there, and don't go cheap.

Lastly have fun!!!!

Rick

reefwars
09-10-2010, 02:08 AM
thanks for the advice, for my skimmer im going to be using my vertex in-180 my tank is going to be around 150-200g and im going to be using my mag 12 if possible im going to be looking into the vortechs as well my problem is the tank is 4'x4' square so i need flow to travel everywhere ill have three return lines ran through the over flow and im thinking thats where the vortechs or other power heads will come in, im not keen on power heads especially in this tank lol:)

i am seriously wanting the controller im lookin at some ideas and its going to be a huge part of my budget

agreed on the chiller untill next summer anyways im just in the curious stages:)

not sure yet on the dosing either as im still info'ing around im liking what i hear about zeovit and im still undecided if im going to run pellets.my problem is if i dont incorporate or allow for space now i wont have it later ,this tank is going to sit right in my dining room right in the middle of the floor to walk around:)

how about co2 what are people using it for and is it something i should be looking into or need??

fencer
09-10-2010, 03:34 AM
APEX get one
Need a calcium reactor
Need an RO/DI unit
Ken has those next reef media reactors much better than the smaller phosban'....all I run is GFO and Carbon
ATO...nice but do you trust them
Save the dosers for later
Stay away for now from ion selective probes buy a couple of elos or salifert kits
Chiller and UV do not have one

reefwars
09-10-2010, 03:37 AM
haha good timing i was just reading on the apex aquacontoller3 pro and it looks sweet any thoughts???

fencer
09-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Just Apex the AC 3 are way different
Oh .....either tunze or vortecs

Jeff_
09-10-2010, 04:33 AM
+1 on the apex
Good support from neptune, and there are some good guides out there on setup.

reefwars
09-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Agreed completelyi just spent all night reading on these and I gotta say must have for my new tank, I am a spontanious person so it's nice to checkin on my tank while onthe go, the price isn't back breaking and i like the sunset/sunrise and moon settings:)

fencer
09-10-2010, 06:11 AM
check with steve at red coral i believe he is going to order soon

lastlight
09-10-2010, 07:09 AM
As for space if the basement isn't developed why not build a stand down there for all your equipment right under your dining room? You can make it extra high so you're not really pumping too far up either and it's at a nice height to work at. Noise will also all be down there.

reefwars
09-11-2010, 07:59 AM
brett love the idea of someday having a fish room underneath or behind a tank but unfortunately my basement is a crawl space its just one floor to my house which sucks for heat issues and humidity but good if i go the airconditioner route as i only have one level to cool:)

im thinking mh pendants for the tank but ........should i lol :)????

lockrookie
09-11-2010, 02:40 PM
i like the idea of a center overflow fora cube tank it may be a bit of a pain to clean reaching over the tank but with rick piled op around it or diy rockwall around itwould look awesome then you can see allround the tank. i have a design in my head that would incorporate closed loop for flow just no room inhouse to build one. but then you see all sides of the tank this peron gave me the idea

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/DSCF2026.jpg

rjengen
09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I like where this is going and can't wait to see the build thread...as far as controllers...FWIW, I have a Profilux, and all I can do is preach about how good they are, and the support out there for them. I haven't figured out how to get it to wipe after a trip to the bathroom, and a #2, but everything else is dead simple with it. It's basically plug and play...and if you have the money to spend, you won't be dissapointed. The support, and options are endless, and it's a compact unit, around the size of a computer's router. Right now we're in the process of upgrading my lights from T-5's to dimable LED's, all controlled by the Profilux. You can also get a dosing unit, which will also run your ATO, and automatic water changes. Might be worth while for you to go down and chat with Ken at Blue World Aquatics...I was very sceptical about the price at first, but now that I've had it up and running for 6 months, I can honestly say it's worth every penny. Hope that helped...and can't wait to see the build :smile:

reefwars
09-11-2010, 03:14 PM
now thats what im talking about that pic is my tank lol what does everyone else think is center ovverflow the way to go for a walk around tank i had my heart set on a c2c overflow but i kinda like the idea of stacking my rock around the center overflow and not seeing any plumbing or overflow:)???

lockrookie
09-11-2010, 04:22 PM
FYI that system is being sold on sask reef for 6 grand

Sunee
09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
now thats what im talking about that pic is my tank lol what does everyone else think is center ovverflow the way to go for a walk around tank i had my heart set on a c2c overflow but i kinda like the idea of stacking my rock around the center overflow and not seeing any plumbing or overflow:)???
That would be a great option. I love the idea of being able to view all 4 sides - and no plumbing showing!

reefwars
09-15-2010, 10:23 PM
It's the decision I made after, lots of viewable space I'm just finalizing the details then the build starts:) I'm going to be doing a stand with dry stack rock similar to what's on slit of new homes:) granite top just like the pic:)

paddyob
09-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Aquarium Illusions has that big tank with overflow in the middle. Too bad it is a rock tank now and not still the coral tank.

That was a cool tank.

reefwars
09-15-2010, 11:12 PM
oh pat buddy i would love to have that tank .that thing is huge lol
im going to be getting reefcanada from here to build my tank i know some people hes built for and they all say hes a great guy to do business with and is an artist when it comes to glass:)

4'x4'x20" center overflow, 4 returns and 4 drains:) with a divider built in for my eel.trimless tank polished edges beveled glass:) already have a price set and awaiting final details then the build starts and maybe ill have some pics to finally add to my journal lol:):)