PDA

View Full Version : Giant clam's shell unhinged

ALang
09-09-2010, 05:33 PM
A giant clam of mine, about 10" across, was struck by a rock while I was aqua-scaping:cry::redface:. Now it is not exactly totally unhinged, but pretty close. When it tries to close up, it is usually not aligned properly.
I've tried using smaller stones to help prop it to help support it. But does anyone know whether it will be able to heal? Can I do anything for it?? I thought I read some where about someone glueing the hinge together or something somewhere, but cannot seem to recall where.
I am afraid that I might do more damage by glueing, so does anyone have any ideas? Lenny.

NanoHuman
09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Sprung recommends using an elastic band that is sized such that it can open slightly but cannot spill open to hold it together. The clam will naturally regenerate the gel hinge over a course of several weeks.

This is detailed The Reef Aquarium Volume 1

fkshiu
09-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Do the elastic band thing and hope for the best. You may have to take measures to protect the clam if shrimp and other scavengers start taking an interest in it because of some tissue damage they detect.

gobytron
09-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Do the elastic band thing and hope for the best. You may have to take measures to protect the clam if shrimp and other scavengers start taking an interest in it because of some tissue damage they detect.

Iwould imagine you'll want to ensure the foot is protected so that you dont have any tremor (bristle worm) attacks.

christyf5
09-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I was under the impression that the hinge doesn't grow back, the elastic is just so that the adductor muscle doesn't become strained as the hinge can't act as a "natural' stop to the shell opening fully (ie. more than it should). I've had this happen previously and sadly the clam didn't survive :neutral: (not that yours won't).

ALang
09-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Well, it was sitting on a half scallop shell, never got itself attached with new bysal threads. Since propping with rocks don't seem to help, and the scuts kept re-aligning the clam every time it tries to close, I tried taking it off the half shell all together and set it on the sand.
So it seems better able to align itself now. And I am hoping that there won't be any worms or such attacking it from below. Hopefully with optimal calcium etc it will re-grow the hinge.
I really would hate to lose this calm. It was a pride and joy of mine.
Thank you for replying. Will do the elastic band if the sandy bottom doesn't help.

reefwars
09-10-2010, 12:56 AM
you can fill a container with sand and put your clam into it to try and keep worms and such out wont stop them but will slow them down the higher it is:)would also keep a close eye on that guy a clam that big can be nasty when gone to work if it dies.