PDA

View Full Version : Hanna Alkalinity!!

shrimpchips
09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Woooo weeeee! I'll be getting one of these for sure!

Can't wait for the Calcium version to come out!

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/hanna-checker-alkalinity/
http://reefbuilders.com/files/2010/09/Marine-Alkalinity-hanna-checker.jpg

lastlight
09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
oh that's exciting. When Ca comes out I'm going to get both. Do they have a Mg planned?

Delphinus
09-09-2010, 04:44 PM
That is AWESOME. I remember reading about how an alkalinity probe (like that used for controllers etc.) would likely never happen on account that the physics just isn't there (or maybe practical) to convert an alkalinity value into a 4-20mA signal but when you stop to think of it, all hobbyist alkalinity test kits are colour based anyhow so why not a colorimeter based tester instead?

The real question I have is how easy is it to use. Of all the testing available, alkalinity has to be one of the easiest tests one can do so to compete with that it has to offer something more. If ppm of 0 to 250 translates to dKH 0 to 14 and a resolution of 0.1 on the unit means a resolution of about 0.2 dKH, with an accuracy of 5% in the 4.2 to 14 range, that means you can tell if your tank fluctuates from 8.0 to 8.1. :lol: Which might be useful, I suppose (to be honest though I am happy to the nearest whole dKh point). But if it's super easy to use .... sure sign me up! :lol:

lastlight
09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Well what's the cost for each test with these style units? You need to buy a box of something...like reagents or something don't you?

Once you have the unit aren't these things a lot cheaper per test than say elos?

Delphinus
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Good point - that would probably speak more than a 0.1 accuracy of a dKH reading. :)

lastlight
09-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Well what does it cost to use the phosphate checker? It's like $50 for the meter I think and then what do you need and how much is that one per test? I could look it up I guess but...

PoonTang
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I have one of the Phosphate checkers and I love it! no more guessing at colours. After the initial cost it then costs $.44 per test.

dsaundry
09-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Do they sell them at the lfs's in Vancouver or are they strictly web ordered?

globaldesigns
09-10-2010, 01:18 AM
I don't mean to be a bummer, but if you still need to buy the solutions, how much different is this from a test kit (like ELOS for $13). It takes me 30 seconds to do a ALK test with a kit, and is much cheaper.

Also a reputable LFS told me these were junk. I don't want to say names, for the sake of getting anyone in trouble.

Just my 2 cents.

But I would love to have a high-end MG probe and Ca probe...Willing to spend the money on these probes. Again only if there are no solutions involved, just dip and read.

lastlight
09-10-2010, 03:11 AM
$13 for an Elos test kit? Please pm me where.

corpusse
09-10-2010, 03:14 AM
This does look interesting but Alkalinity is the one thing I always check just because doing the test kit is so quick and easy. It's a hard one to screw up, and unlike phosphate you aren't guessing at a colour. When it turns you have your number. For the record I use salifert test kits.

globaldesigns
09-11-2010, 03:58 AM
$13 for an Elos test kit? Please pm me where.

PH and DKH are cheap in ELOS, not for the rest... $30-40 for all others (Mg, Ca, etc)

Sorry, ALK is $18, but still much cheaper than using electronic device with solutions.