PDA

View Full Version : Flower Pot and Cup coral issues!!

The Grizz
09-09-2010, 01:50 AM
So I have 2 flower pot's, 1 is red and the other is purple and a cup coral. When I first got them they all extended out and looked amazing but now the only time they seem to extend is when the light's go out and the moon light led's come on.

Any one have any ideas of what might be happening or what I should try to bring them around? They are not dead as I can see the polyp's ( if that is what they are called) in the hole's but they don't want to come out and play.

This is what they looked like for a few month's after I got them:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/PurpleGoniporia.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/Corals%20and%20Fish/RedGoniporia.jpg

Can't seem to find a pic of the cup.

naesco
09-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Sorry Grizz but your flowerpots or goniopora are slowly dying.
They have no chance of living in reefers tanks and that is why they should not be imported or sold.
The experts who are experimenting with their needs have had some success with tanks supercharged with phytoplankton to the point that the water has a constant very distinct green tinge to it.

If you want to you could set up another tank along the same idea.
If you just purchased them return them to the lfs that sold them to you for a full credit. They know the drill on this species.

The Grizz
09-09-2010, 02:14 AM
Well if they are slowly dieing it sure taking long enough. They have been like this for the last 2 month and I have had then for about 6 month.

I have seen them in other tanks as well, in which they were there for years. I have heard and read all about there track record and beginning to agree that they should be left in the ocean but the are so nice.

apexifd
09-09-2010, 02:36 AM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/10/aafeature2

looks like they are possible to keep in a close system. I have mine for 2 months now. colour fade when it was under power compact in the bio cube. but, with it move into the 75g with 150watt MH... colour starts to come back and it polyp extension is great now as well.

The Grizz
09-09-2010, 02:40 AM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/10/aafeature2

looks like they are possible to keep in a close system. I have mine for 2 months now. colour fade when it was under power compact in the bio cube. but, with it move into the 75g with 150watt MH... colour starts to come back and it polyp extension is great now as well.

This is a strange, I was just reading the exact same article. Do you target feed yours? Got a pic?

daniella3d
09-09-2010, 03:02 AM
Are you feeding them? Goniopora especialy need feeding and alveopora as well. Try feeding the tank some ReefRoid as this food was developed for goniopora. Also some cyclopeeze might be good. Mine never really accepted this food so I keep putting the ReefRoid every day, just a little bit to feed them.

I stop the skimmer for an hour and feed it to the tank.

Also I have read that Zeovit amino acid is a good product to prevent goniopora and alveopora from shrinking to nothing. Mine have been going well for 7 months now, even growing. They really extend a few inches when the metal halide goes on.

Gonioporas and alveoporas cannot really thrive in a low nutriment system.

Phytoplankton? who said they eat phyto? Reefroid is zooplankton and I read pretty much everywhere they eat zooplankton from the water.

I have red that Fauna Marin is now developing a specialized food for them, not sure if that is ready or not. ReefRoid is the way to go but also Faune Marin Ultraseafan and UltraMIn could be helpful.

naesco
09-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Grizz don't get excited.
The article was written over five years ago by a guy that works at a fish store called feathers and fins.

Tried to find the article on using a green phytoplankton tank but can't find it yet.

naesco
09-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Are you feeding them? Goniopora especialy need feeding and alveopora as well. Try feeding the tank some ReefRoid as this food was developed for goniopora. Also some cyclopeeze might be good. Mine never really accepted this food so I keep putting the ReefRoid every day, just a little bit to feed them.

I stop the skimmer for an hour and feed it to the tank.

Also I have read that Zeovit amino acid is a good product to prevent goniopora and alveopora from shrinking to nothing. Mine have been going well for 7 months now, even growing. They really extend a few inches when the metal halide goes on.

Gonioporas and alveoporas cannot really thrive in a low nutriment system.

Phytoplankton? who said they eat phyto? Reefroid is zooplankton and I read pretty much everywhere they eat zooplankton from the water.

I have red that Fauna Marin is now developing a specialized food for them, not sure if that is ready or not. ReefRoid is the way to go but also Faune Marin Ultraseafan and UltraMIn could be helpful.

#Phytoplankton? who said they eat phyto?#

just Eric Borneman

There are no recent developments in understanding the needs of Goniopora although certainly one day an expert who is studying their needs will find something that can give them a fighting chance at survival. And certainly a few coral food manufacturers will make dishonest claims about their product.
But in the meantime, IMO, they should not be imported, should not be sold(reputable fish stores do not bring them in) or purchased.

The Grizz
09-09-2010, 03:30 AM
reputable fish stores do not bring them in

I have seen them at many of our LFS here and ALL the shop I go to are very reputable.

When mine were doing well I was using Coral Snow and Amino Acids as well as Phytoplankton and Phytoplankton Concentrate on alternate days but had to stop due to the old mighty dollar. Might have to try and swing it and get some more to see if they improve. If not it wont hurt any thing else in the tank.

daniella3d
09-09-2010, 03:51 AM
I don't know if those are "dishonest" claims but mine has even grown a few new heads. Extention is great with MH light and it's not shrinking.

Time will tell if it will continue to do well, if I can keep it healthy for more than a year.

There must have been at least some studies done on them since Reefroid was developed for these corals.

http://polyplab.com/reefroids.html

"Reef-roids is a mixture of naturally occurring marine planktons including a specific species of zooplankton that is unique to our product."

In any case, if one has such coral, it is best to give it all the chances and give it proper food, what ever this is that we have available.

I have started zeovit amino acid 2 weeks ago for better color in my sps, but it's too soon to juge the effect on the flower pot.

And this is interesting:

John Kelly on Goniopora
Founder of Goniopora.org discusses this little understood animal

"Unfortunately, Eric Borneman, in his book Aquarium Corals, tended to emphasize the possibility of phytoplankton over zooplankton as a potential food source for Goniopora. Since then, hobbyists have been purchasing and dumping phytoplankton into their reefs only to have their Goniopora end up slowly starving to death."

"The best feeding regimen is to mix and mash a number of small foods together in an attempt to replicate a zooplankton-like meal. There are plenty of commercially available foods that can be used to create a mix such as Cyclopeeze, DT’s Oyster Eggs, Coral Frenzy, GP Diets, raw sea foods, frozen brine and mysis shrimp, frozen rotifers, and many more."

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=353

#Phytoplankton? who said they eat phyto?#

just Eric Borneman

There are no recent developments in understanding the needs of Goniopora although certainly one day an expert who is studying their needs will find something that can give them a fighting chance at survival. And certainly a few coral food manufacturers will make dishonest claims about their product.
But in the meantime, IMO, they should not be imported, should not be sold(reputable fish stores do not bring them in) or purchased.

naesco
09-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Daniella many suppliers to our hobby make unsubstantiated claims to sell theri products to unsuspecting new reefers. Take a look at all the anti-ich and anti-bacterial medications on the shelves and perhaps one or two may work.

Mr. Kelly is a hobbyist like you and I. He set up goniopora.org which is no longer in existance.
Dr. Eric Borneman is THE guru on coral. He has written tonnes of articles and books for our reef hobby. He has speaking engagements throughout the world at reef-oriented conventions.

I wish you well with your flowerpot but the reality is experience is against your chance of keeping her alive.

daniella3d
09-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I feed both zooplankton and DT's live phytoplankton (for my pods).

I know many manufacturer could lie about their product but I seriously doubt that a responsible company would develop a product for a specific specie without doing the appropriate research and flopping so much money.

At least mine have been doing well for 8 months and growing new heads, so I will see. One thing I am sure about is that they really need hight light. Mine thrive and fully extend only when the MH turn on.

Daniella many suppliers to our hobby make unsubstantiated claims to sell theri products to unsuspecting new reefers. Take a look at all the anti-ich and anti-bacterial medications on the shelves and perhaps one or two may work.

Mr. Kelly is a hobbyist like you and I. He set up goniopora.org which is no longer in existance.
Dr. Eric Borneman is THE guru on coral. He has written tonnes of articles and books for our reef hobby. He has speaking engagements throughout the world at reef-oriented conventions.

I wish you well with your flowerpot but the reality is experience is against your chance of keeping her alive.

ponokareefer
01-27-2011, 10:31 PM
I was wondering how everyone's goniopora are doing from this thread? I tried a couple when I first started a tank that didn't make it and was considering giving another one a shot after reading on how people are keeping them alive.

I actually had one that produced a baby frag, but my "reef safe" chocolate chip starfish ate it. I love the advise you can get from an LFS!

The Grizz
01-27-2011, 10:43 PM
I was wondering how everyone's goniopora are doing from this thread? I tried a couple when I first started a tank that didn't make it and was considering giving another one a shot after reading on how people are keeping them alive.

I actually had one that produced a baby frag, but my "reef safe" chocolate chip starfish ate it. I love the advise you can get from an LFS!

I am zero for 2 somewhat on my gonipora. There are still some polyp that come out around the bottom but that is it. My cup coral on the other hand that I thought was totally dead as polyps out about 1/2" today, they have been coming out more and more every week.

What dumb a$$ told you that a choc chip star was reef safe, they need a kick in the......

ponokareefer
01-27-2011, 10:55 PM
What dumb a$$ told you that a choc chip star was reef safe, they need a kick in the......

This place also gave me a free aiptasia when I inquired what it was and if it would work in my tank. It was my first free item given to me from a pet store! :lol:

globaldesigns
01-27-2011, 11:08 PM
I have also had differnet varieties and also lost them. Most reef tanks do not have enough food/nutrients to feed them. And in my case I never spot fed them either.

I have some left and they are surviving, but not really flourishing.

Personally I wouldn't buy them anymore.

kien
01-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I currently have 3 gonioporas, a purple, a red and a peach. My pruple one I've had the longest, coming up on 3 years now I think.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2766/4073867963_94437aaa51_o.jpg

It has not really grown or declined since I got it. It just remains static. Strangely it can go from nice and puffy like in that top picture, to all shriveled and retracted in this picture..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3616/3634277089_0bbdece58e_o.jpg

.. and remain this way for days at a time.

I got a red one from zoeElite a few months ago. It was a baseball sized goni. It has now encrusted over and onto the rock that I mounted it onto and continues to spread.

My latest goni I got a month ago so hard to say how well this one will do. I do not feed my gonis anyting because their feeding tentacles aren't sticky so even if I sprayed them with food like I do with my other LPS, the food doesn't get trapped. I am certainly no expert but it almost seems to me like they filter feed. :noidea:

The Grizz
01-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Ya but you could make a rock grow in your tank's Kien so you don't count :razz:

daniella3d
01-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Juging from the photo, they have way too much current. Mine are doing very well and I have them from about a year but they are in a gently flow.

I also feed them reefroid and coral frenzy as well as live phyto.

I am zero for 2 somewhat on my gonipora. There are still some polyp that come out around the bottom but that is it. My cup coral on the other hand that I thought was totally dead as polyps out about 1/2" today, they have been coming out more and more every week.

The Grizz
01-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Juging from the photo, they have way too much current. Mine are doing very well and I have them from about a year but they are in a gently flow.

I also feed them reefroid and coral frenzy as well as live phyto.

I did move them the next day after pics were taken to a low flow area of my tank. Then they really went down hill.
Switching my light out for MH as soon as I build my canopy hopefully in the next week.

reefwars
01-28-2011, 01:07 AM
I did move them the next day after pics were taken to a low flow area of my tank. Then they really went down hill.
Switching my light out for MH as soon as I build my canopy hopefully in the next week.

grizz i had a green for a year and a half it was the size of a softball when i sold it that person still has it today it grew bigtime for me...i also had a purple alot smaller but it stayed alive too i had that one for about a year.

i kept mine right out in the open they were getting lots of flow i kept them on rockwork and directly under a 250w halide 20000k.....i found if i cut the pumps they shriveled up bad or if i picked them up they didnt like that either..

i never spot fed in that tank minus some food for my zoas or fish so i doubt they were getting enough from that to survive....

i dont think these are one of those things that should be left in the ocean since alot of hobbysts are having success with them even if it is on a small scale.......if we gave up now then they all died for nothing.....i believe there is an answer to every problem :)

someone told me once that the reds are easier to keep alive:)

paddyob
01-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Sorry Grizz but your flowerpots or goniopora are slowly dying.
They have no chance of living in reefers tanks and that is why they should not be imported or sold.
The experts who are experimenting with their needs have had some success with tanks supercharged with phytoplankton to the point that the water has a constant very distinct green tinge to it.

If you want to you could set up another tank along the same idea.
If you just purchased them return them to the lfs that sold them to you for a full credit. They know the drill on this species.

Agree... for the most part. Most of them do die. They are really picky and have very specific needs.

Most LFS will not take a coral back. Even the good ones sell hard/impossible to keep species.

I wish you luck Greg!

The Codfather
01-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Greg,
I have had a red for over 3 years, almost 4 now. It was about 2" in size when I bought it and is now the size of a soft ball. I did not feed it or give it any special care and it grew just fine under the 250 halides, although I did have to move it to calmer waters after I increased the flow in the tank.

The Grizz
01-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Maybe once I switch out my lights to MH I will try another one if I find a good deal.