mark
09-08-2010, 07:55 PM
just venting.

(I feel a little better)

Tom R
09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I am with you.

This stuff just drives me crazy.

I have tried everything to get rid of it.

If you have any great ideas to rid a tank infested with it, lets here it.

Tom R

trilinearmipmap
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
There was a thread on Reef Central about overdoing magnesium to kill Bryopsis. I have no personal experience with Bryopsis but I would do a search for this thread.

Mrfish55
09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Water quality is most often to blame, regular water changes will help as will a lawnmower blenny or Diadema urchin, if you only have one or two rocks that are covered and you are able to remove them, you can freeze the rocks for min 48 hours to kill it and then scrub the rock clean (simply scraping or pulling it off the rocks will not kill it as it grows deep into the rock and will just grow back) I tried the magnesium trick once and it seemed to slow it down, but the regular water changes and a lawnmower blennie are what cured it for me. Good luck.

gobytron
09-08-2010, 11:48 PM
battled it for a year...
was never confident enough in my testing and paramaters to bump up the mag, but I actually did a 120% water change over the course of a weekend and added a seahare and I now have trouble finding any in my 95.

whatcaneyedo
09-09-2010, 12:40 AM
There was a thread on Reef Central about overdoing magnesium to kill Bryopsis. I have no personal experience with Bryopsis but I would do a search for this thread.

I'm not sure where the original thread is but Randy did have this to say:

"Magnesium in the water does nothing for hair algae. Don't bother trying.

Folks have found that an impurity in Kent Tech M (and not many other brands) will help kill bryopsis (not hair algae). It is not the magnesium, but an impurity that works there."
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794579&highlight=magnesium+bryopsis

BMW Rider
09-09-2010, 01:12 AM
My Kole tang eliminated my briopsis and has kept it that way for a few years now. :biggrin::biggrin: