PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have opinion on these LEDs?

Strickland_673
09-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Just wondering if anyone has read about or tried these lights?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ld-mldb2436/Marineland+Double+Bright+LED+Light+Fixture+%2824-36+Inch%29.html

I wouldnt use it as my main lighting but right now I have a T5HO Hagen Glo 2X24W. would this help my lighting at all so i could broaden my coral capabilities.

it's only a 25g tank 15" deep. what kinds of corals can i keep with my current lighting?

Ron99
09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
These have been discussed a few times. Way to few LEDs, low power, not much PAR. Basically only good for a fish only tank etc. I would not count on it to add anything for coral growth and there are to few blue LEDs to add actinic pop.

Milad
09-07-2010, 10:31 PM
refgium lighting?

Ron99
09-07-2010, 11:50 PM
refgium lighting?

Why bother? There are much cheaper options for a refugium.

Wayne
09-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Just wondering if anyone has read about or tried these lights?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ld-mldb2436/Marineland+Double+Bright+LED+Light+Fixture+%2824-36+Inch%29.html

I wouldnt use it as my main lighting but right now I have a T5HO Hagen Glo 2X24W. would this help my lighting at all so i could broaden my coral capabilities.

it's only a 25g tank 15" deep. what kinds of corals can i keep with my current lighting?

With about 2 watts per gallon you are pretty much limited to soft corals. If you want to grow any LPS you need to be in the 3-5 and for SPS somewhere 6-8 i believe.

Those lights are for fish only. They will not grow corals, which came right from Marineland themselves. If you are looking for LED lights that will grow corals check out Vertex Illumina.

mike31154
09-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Can't comment on the LED, but I started my 77 gal with a 36 inch Hagen Glo and it basically started as a FOWLR system. A mushroom coral popped up on its own after a few months under this light (one 10000k bulb & one actinic). I'd say you could probably keep most any soft coral and even a few LPS corals, such as branching Hammer in your size system with that Glo light. They're actually pretty decent lights. Watts per gallon may not be an appropriate measure of your lighting requirements. There's a big difference in the lumen/par output per watt between a Halide, LED or T5HO lamp.

Milad
09-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Why bother? There are much cheaper options for a refugium.

true but they would last for a long time and they are flat and clean looking. All these "bulbs" annoy me for refgiums.