PDA

View Full Version : SPS loss of colour, Why?

Jason McK
11-27-2003, 03:53 AM
here it is day 1
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/537Crop_Blue_Acro.jpg?2366

and a couple of weeks later
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/504/537blue_acro2.jpg?7144

Anyone have any reason why it would loose it's colour so quickly.
it's under 2x250W 6500K and 2x100W VHO Atinic.
I will admit I have been fighting with low ALK and CA but nothing crazy
ALK low at 7.0dKH
CA low at 350

Thanks
Jason

Aquattro
11-27-2003, 03:57 AM
Was this a wild frag? Often they will brown out and color up again later on.

Jason McK
11-27-2003, 04:00 AM
Thanks to Wendell and Jack @ Ocean Aquatics for that score!!! :biggrin:

I've never done a comparison like this before it's nice to see some growth

J

Thanks for the quick reply

Samw
11-27-2003, 04:54 AM
Wow, that's extreme. My acros (I don't have that particular teal one) lose color because of high nutrients. Don't think that's your case though. Could be just the color temperature of your lighting then.

I wonder how everyone else's acro from the same colony is doing? Anyone else's kept that color?

One_Divided
11-27-2003, 05:39 AM
I agree with Brad..

It will probably regain its colour when growth starts to take off

sumpfinfishe
11-27-2003, 08:03 AM
That's weird Jason :confused:
I took a few images of the tank, and had one shot with the same frag.
My piece has retainned it's color so far, it's also been feeding at night on golden pearls and is about 3" below the water surface.

http://www3.telus.net/sumpfinfishe/images/11-25-3acros.jpg

LostMind
11-28-2003, 02:08 AM
Dunno if you read this before but I was just doing some reading and came across this at reefkeeping.

-----
Myth 5: The "K" rating of aquarium lamps plays an important role in the coloration of corals.
Myth 6: Corals are colorful because of their symbiotic zooxanthellae.

Zooxanthellae are golden brown to deep brown in color, depending on their pigment content and the light/temperature environment in which they are found. The bright colors in corals arise from either animal-based or skeleton-based pigments. Many gorgonians, soft corals, and a few stony corals incorporate pigments into skeletal elements. Others have animal based pigments that are either biosynthesized or acquired through diet. Many zooxanthellate corals have their bright colors because of a family of multi-hued fluorescing proteins. These pigments seem to be produced in response to a given light environment. The primary control on their production appears to be total irradiance level, and little evidence exists to suggest that the "k" rating of bulbs will influence their production. There is also a strong genetic component, although the specific aspects of fluorescing proteins and their respective genes have not yet been worked out. The color temperature of light bulbs most likely influences the perceived color of corals in a tank, with ultraviolet components enhancing highly fluorescent pigments. Certain bulb temperatures may have enough of their spectrum skewed in relative distribution that total irradiance with a given wattage may be affected, and thus total irradiance influencing the relative production of fluorescing proteins.

It is notable that some pigments appear to be formed as a result of low light, while others appear to be formed in environments with high irradiance levels. For more information, see the article and references located here.

Potential: varied. If a brightly colored coral is producing fluorescing proteins in response to low light, placement in high light environments may result in bleaching. Other aspects of fluorescing protein production may be related to bleaching resistance in high light environments. Otherwise, coloration is largely aesthetic for reef aquariums.
Distribution: widespread. It is becoming more widely recognized in aquarium circles that coral coloration does not arise from the colors of zooxanthellae. However, many articles in the lay press still wrongfully propose this notion. The belief that the k-rating of bulbs is important to coral coloration is widespread among the hobby populace, and appears to be a common misconception in all countries
-----

Might not give you any DIRECT info on your specific prob, but maybe shows why colouration changes in corals...

Samw
02-09-2004, 02:21 AM
Anyone have any updates on frags of the same colony? Was wondering if anyone was able to retain the original colour.

Aquattro
02-09-2004, 02:26 AM
Anyone have any updates on frags of the same colony? Was wondering if anyone was able to retain the original colour.

Sam, mine is doing well growth wise, but it has darkened up a bit. It sits about 3 inches under the surface, so gets a lot of light.

sumpfinfishe
02-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Mine has also darkened up, not a surprise though as I'm only running NO's. The polyps are extending all the time and the piece does appear to be healthy as it has grown a little. The sudden color loss came on around the 2nd week of the new year. It only took two day's for the frag to turn completly brown, I almost took it out as I thought it was crashing-I'm glad I decided to keep it in the tank as it's still alive and growing just not the teal color anymore :confused:

Sorry for not responding earlier Jason and others, totally forgot about this thread :rolleyes:

Acro
02-09-2004, 06:30 PM
If I understand it correctly this is also from ther same coral. Perhaps Wendell could comfirm?
http://members.shaw.ca/jcross2/feb09_001_copy.JPG

Jason McK
02-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I would have to say colour has returned to the skeleton of mine but the polyps remain a light brown. most new growth is the light blue.

Jamie, Can you think of anything that you have done that may attribute to the colour retention?

J

zulu_principle
02-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Yes its from the same colony.

There are so many factors its difficult to pinpoint to one specific parameter that is different in each system.

Patience and the color should come back.

Wendell

Acro
02-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks Wendell.

Jason, I'd have to agree with Wendell. For the most part it's tough to pinpoint one thing that is the desiding factor. Acclimation time can very between tanks as well as corals. I guess the trick to pulling the best/most color pigments is to create an enviroment were the coral doesn't host to much zooxanthellae. The brownish color of the zooxanthallae can wash out the vibrant colors. One must also remember that a stressed coral (such as from shipping)can expel zooxanthellae which can/will create a color that simply isn't posible in a healthy coral. Though I don't believe this to be the case with this coral. You also mention that the coenostreum has colored up but yet the polyps have not. The polyps are an area that naturally host the most zooxanthellae which is likely why you see what you do.

Jason McK
02-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks Wendell and Jamie I will keep my eye on it and let you all know what happens over time.

J

Gools
06-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Can colouration be achived with 175w halides or do you need the 250w or 400w to get you that coloring in corals?