PDA

View Full Version : salt diffrenace

steve fedyk
09-06-2010, 10:58 PM
How big of a diffrenace is there between d&d ocean salt and other brands like zeovite salt, and instant ocean

whatcaneyedo
09-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Someone on RC tested several different salt mixes for Ca, Alk and MG then posted his results. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505 The main differences between them is price and marketing in my opinion.

pelle31
09-07-2010, 01:00 AM
I wonder though how the results are in different batches?

steve fedyk
09-07-2010, 02:16 AM
I have had big diffrenace between batchs of salt my self. With d-d h20 I had my mg 2200 in one bucket.
I'm think of swicthing to instant ocean over d-d h2o.

pelle31
09-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Damn eh? I've been using IO forever. And when I came back into salt I started IO again, I've had fluctuations but never have the MG that high. I wish now that I would have kept a log for all the buckets I have bought.

naesco
09-07-2010, 02:32 AM
IME,go for the least expensive salt and than treat yourself with the purchase of a fish or coral.

e46er
09-07-2010, 02:54 AM
I started using seachem reef salt and found calcium was 500+ and it was $55 a bucket switched to IO for $40 a bucket and the first 3 or 4 buckets needed some mg and ca added which I bought in bulk from chemaster and the last 3 IO buckets have come in at 420 cal 9 dkh and 1300,1350,1350 mg so no supplementing was required the bulk ca and mg from chem master were a much cheeper option than a more expensive salt let alone a $90 bucket
no noticeable differnce good or bad when I switched those are the only 2 salts I've got experince with

intarsiabox
09-07-2010, 02:59 AM
Someone on RC tested several different salt mixes for Ca, Alk and MG then posted his results. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505 The main differences between them is price and marketing in my opinion.

Looks like IO has gotten much better than in the past if the results posted are consistant. I've been using DD on my 25g because I didn't want to have to dose anything with a tank this small and parameters have so far been perfect out of my last 2 buckets. Everything thrives and no algae but on a tank this small a bucket lasts forever. On my new 90g I'll have to give IO another try. I used it about 5 years ago on a 72g and had to dose all the time even with mostly softies and only a couple LPS and had algae problems until I switched salts.

mark
09-07-2010, 03:05 AM
IO pails in the past would get Ca 275-325 and Mg 900-1100 ppm.

Got a new pail ~ month ago (had a small sticker 10-May-10) and measured at Ca 410, Mg 1200.

steve fedyk
09-07-2010, 03:23 AM
I have used d-d h2o, tropic, red sea and zeovit. I was not happy with zeovit for the price.
I have been using d-d for the last four buckets with is about one year, and have been happy with it except the last bucket. I think the bucket was not mixed very well. I'm going to have too give IO a try, when this bucket of d-d h2o is done.
I do a daily water change of 1.4G and add 2 tbsp of KH to a 45g mix.

daniella3d
09-07-2010, 03:35 AM
I am having trouble with my zoanthids since I switched to H2Ocean. Everything was doing great and multiplying like crazy and I was tired of dosing so I switched to H2Ocean salt over a month and half and I slowly watched my zoa melt away and shrivel. Worse thing is that I still had to dose :(

I am now switching back to IO and my zoa returning to normal very very slowly. I could not see the point of switching for a MUCH more expensive salt if I still had to dose for alkalinity and calcium/magnesium and some of my coral did not appreciate the switch at ALL.

I know a few people who had their sps bleaching (orange digitata) while switching to h2o and that returned to their previous salt which solved the bleaching. I would only switch if you are having problem with your current salt as probably you'll still have to dose anyway with other salts so no point switching unless you have problems. I regret even trying that as I lost a few very good zoanthid frags that were doing great before.

One thing I did not like about H2Ocean is that there was always some brown deposite at the bottom of the mixing container as well as some shiny crystal like deposite. Not good.

How big of a diffrenace is there between d&d ocean salt and other brands like zeovite salt, and instant ocean