PDA

View Full Version : Alveopora

EmilyB
11-27-2003, 03:20 AM
I love it :biggrin:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/beans666/alveoporaDSC00043_rs.jpg

Aquattro
11-27-2003, 03:25 AM
cool. What are the requirements of those? Related to the gonis, right? But easier?

kuatto
11-27-2003, 03:26 AM
Nice :cool:

Dorkel Marine 1
11-27-2003, 03:31 AM
"Whoa" those are gorgeous. I'm writing that name down. Are they hard to get. And before I get too excited are they hard to keep.

George

Jason McK
11-27-2003, 03:43 AM
Very nice they look very Dainty

J

AJ_77
11-27-2003, 04:29 AM
It's kind of a chick's coral, George. :wink:

Nice, Deb. Nicer in person tho'... those little wavey hands.
:biggrin:

Samw
11-27-2003, 04:38 AM

Why Chick's coral. Is it because its called Daisy? Can I show mine? :razz:

EmilyB
11-27-2003, 04:56 AM
cool. What are the requirements of those? Related to the gonis, right? But easier?

Apparently. It doesn't like much flow or it recedes, I feed it every time I feed the sun coral. It seems to like that. It's not in much light, off at the side of a MH with some NO overhead.
:smile:

Jason McK
11-27-2003, 05:22 AM

That cracks me up :rofl:

J

kris
11-27-2003, 06:30 AM
wow Em that is great. where did you find that one?

Chad
11-27-2003, 06:54 AM

This is right out of Eric Borneman's book;

Alveopora are considered similar in their care requirements and as difficult to maintain as Goniopora, and they are not likely to survive in most home aquariums. Low current and low to medium lighting with, perhaps, a slightly higher nutrient content seem to fit their most common locations in nature. Alveopora are naturally adapted to living in both high-light and low-light environments and are one of the more-tolerant corals, at least in this repect.

-----------

So all I can say is good luck.. I have thought about getting one myself but if it is really that difficult to keep in an aquarium then I don't want to support that trade. However it is a stunning coral to say the least.

Chad

UnderWorldAquatics
11-27-2003, 03:21 PM
I have had many "daisy" corals, and I find them even easier to keep than goniapora, which I find easy to keep as well. I know alot of people that keep them succesfully longterm, sure hes a respected authority in the field, but just cuz some dude writes something in a book dosent mean jack all.... do you personally know the writer??? have you personally witnesed his husbandry skills and routine, I would have to say that from people that I know, hobbyists can keep more things alive than a doctor or marine biologist, not in all cases, I dont belive everything I read...
Some hobbyists routines are considered extream and not needed, their livestock is usually very healthy, some marine studies are far from the hobbyists routine, both in a good way and a bad way...

Chad
11-27-2003, 05:36 PM
but just cuz some dude writes something in a book dosent mean jack all.... do you personally know the writer??? have you personally witnesed his husbandry skills and routine, I would have to say that from people that I know, hobbyists can keep more things alive than a doctor or marine biologist, not in all cases, I dont belive everything I read...

Well I appreciate everyones opinion even when I get insulted. However, he is a well respected author and is a featured writer on RC where his opinion is also well respected. I am sure many will attest to this. Though I do not "personaly" know this author I do value his opinion especialy after reading many of his works. As well, it was never said it was "impossible" to keep. I simply quoted something from his book to provide some more insight into the coral.. And offered my personal opinion on the matter. end of story..

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers :biggrin:

Chad

AJ_77
11-27-2003, 06:57 PM
just cuz some dude writes something in a book dosent mean jack all....

:lol: DOOD! :lol:

:mrgreen:

AJ_77
11-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Can I show mine? :razz:

:eek:

:redface:

UnderWorldAquatics
11-27-2003, 07:03 PM
sorry if my comments seemed like an insult to you, that was not my intention. I did mention that he is a respected athourity in the field, and I do respect and appreciate his books. What "I" feel that some people fail to remember is that many books are written giving advice on husbandry when the species is newer to the hobby or not much is known about it, or the author reallym hasnt spent much time with that species, these book writers are an amazing resource for us but we have to remember that they are not all knowing, ever spoke with a fellow hobbyiest and heard that they couldnt keep something alive, they form the opinion that the species is hard to maintain in captivity while you have 2 dozen of them flourishing in your tank at home, usually I find that if 90+% of people comment that they cant keep something alive, then it probably is hard to maintain in captivity, when you have a whole bunch of people saying that they keep the said difficult species alive just fine, well then it probably isnt hard to keep it just has special requirements, those special requirements are not nesecarily making the species harder to keep, but it just needs different conditions than most commonly kept corals. I can almost guarantee that if you keep that alveapora in a tank setup to keep acros flourishing, it will die shortly, that dosent mean its hard to keep, it just has different care requirements than acros.

Samw
11-27-2003, 07:36 PM
I agree with you on a lot of points DeepBlue.

Chad
11-27-2003, 07:45 PM
I agree with you on a lot of points DeepBlue.

I do as well.. I wish it was written like that the first time. The only thing I can say is that at some point you have to follow someones opinion, unless you just jump into it and buy a particular coral with no regards to research etc. Like I said, I thought about getting that coral but I researched it (not just in Borneman's book) and found that a good many people had more failures than success. So until someone can provide a good clear way to care for this animal I perfer to stay clear. I don't want to harm anything. Just my two cents..

Chad

EmilyB
11-27-2003, 11:55 PM
There are a lot of things out there that are best left to more advanced aquarists, for more reasons than one. :biggrin:

I am not attempting to keep this coral in a tank with zero nitrate, or high light and flow. This would be a common enough tank among sps reefers, and imo, this coral may not do as well imo.

andestang
11-29-2003, 02:13 AM
Very nice Deb :cool: you sure seem to have some really nice specimans. Someday sure would like to check them out :mrgreen: