PDA

View Full Version : Neptune Apex Causing my Light to Flash

viperfish
09-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Has anyone have this happen? I have my Metal Halide lights plugged into my EB8 and for some reason my light will flash a few times during the night. Obviously there is some screw up with the EB8.

fencer
09-03-2010, 07:32 AM
this could be from the ballasts. I have seen it in other controllers but not the apex

viperfish
09-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't think it's the ballast. I plugged it into my coralife time and it doesn't blink. If I have to do that it sort of defeats the purpose of a controller. I have heard of it happening whe other outlets are used for a wavemaker so I ran my Evo's without an on/off cycle but it made no difference.

PoonTang
09-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Try swapping the MH outlet with something else and see if it still does it. Could it be something in your programming? What are your MH statements?

abcha0s
09-04-2010, 03:04 AM
This happens to me too!

In my case, the MH ballasts are connected to a DC4 and everything with them is fine.

Connected to my EB8 I have things like: CO2, Fans, Sump Lights, Cabinet Lights, Tunze ATO, Etc. Generally smaller equipment.

Ocassionally, I get what appears to be a surge or a spike through the EB8 where some or all of the devices seem to flash. The sump lights are the easiest to see, but I sometimes here the clicking of the CO2 solenoid.

The behaviour does seem to have a trigger, I just haven't figured out exactly what the trigger is. I notice it most frequently after a feed cycle when certain pumps start back up, but this correlation is inconclusive.

Honestly - I absolutely love the functionality of the Apex, but I have concerns about the quality of the hardware. I've just sent some hardware back to Neptune to be replaced.

rkelman
09-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I had exactly the same problem. Do you have a low voltage appliance plugged into one of the regular outlets on the EB8? That's what was doing it on mine. I just plugged my 12v fan into a mechanical relay'd outlet and presto no more problems.