PDA

View Full Version : How much does a 160 gallon pail of instant ocean salt weigh?

trilinearmipmap
09-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I want to bring it back on the plane in my luggage, I think it is around 45 to 50 lbs, if it is over 50 lbs I can't take it in my luggage.

2pts
09-02-2010, 04:52 PM
44.8 lbs off my bucket of instant ocean reef crystals.

lastlight
09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Mixed to 1.025 or dry? Just trying to be thorough here =)

globaldesigns
09-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I want to see you get that into your luggage, take a pic.

I can't see that fitting into a normal suitcase.

Ross
09-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I want to see you get that into your luggage, take a pic.

I can't see that fitting into a normal suitcase.

Take it out and put it in ziplock baggies for 5 gallons at a time.

Honestly officer, its salt for my fish, not a banned substance.

globaldesigns
09-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Take it out and put it in ziplock baggies for 5 gallons at a time.

Honestly officer, its salt for my fish, not a banned substance.

HEHE, that would just be too funny.

Doesn't IO sell salt in boxes now? If so, you could take it out of the box, as it would be in a bag, then you could flatten it out.

But again, what if you get caught, they would not believe it was salt at first. Could cause you alot of grief to save a few bucks.

lastlight
09-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I think even in a sealed pail...they hear a bunch of granules/powder rolling about in it and you might be in for some hassle.

whatcaneyedo
09-03-2010, 12:42 AM
My bathroom scale isn't super accurate but one weighed just a hair over 50 lbs on it... If you do manage to bring one on the plane let us know. Its something I've thought about doing many times before as well. My concern would be the airline luggage handlers accidentally smashing it...

Lance
09-03-2010, 12:58 AM
My concern would be the airline luggage handlers accidentally smashing it...

My concern would be the airline luggage handlers chasing after it with straws in hand!

trilinearmipmap
09-03-2010, 02:35 AM
IO salt locally costs $100.00 per pail.

Previously I dealt with this through neglecting water changes but now I am going more SPS so I guess some water changes would be a good idea.

I will put the bucket of salt in a duffel bag. I will bring along an extra container so it if weighs a few pounds over the limit I will carry some of the salt in my other piece of luggage.

Zoaelite
09-03-2010, 02:40 AM
My concern would be the airline luggage handlers chasing after it with straws in hand!

Hahah!!! That would make for an interesting nose full.

globaldesigns
09-03-2010, 03:11 AM
How about this, instead of sneaking it on, and getting caught, breaking some laws and getting in trouble. Maybe???

Call the airlines and ask them. I am sure they will work with you if it is part of your luggage. You never know salt could build a bomb, if mixed with vodka, mouthwash and hairspray.

lockrookie
09-03-2010, 03:37 AM
i would think the airline ticket would cost more than 100 bucks but i guess if your going anyways. personally i buy my instant ocean salt from petsmart for 49.99 and on sale for 39.99 if i catch the sale.

intarsiabox
09-03-2010, 04:16 AM
I plugged a pail into Jlaquatics website and it comes up to $78 shipped to Sherwood Park, Alberta incl. taxes and freight. Maybe you should see what it costs through them before buying locally again.

trilinearmipmap
09-03-2010, 04:38 AM
I'm not sneaking it on, just putting it into my duffel bag which is my normal luggage I use anyways. There are no laws against putting aquarium salt mix into your checked luggage. J & L charges $93.00 for one pail of salt shipped to me. Up to now I have never bought salt locally just had people bring salt up when they are driving here. Anyway I will put it in my duffel bag and see how it goes. I don't have the greatest experience dealing with Air Canada so I am not keen on phoning to ask their permission as they are right up there with Telus and Rogers in terms of abusive customer service.

Jeff_
09-03-2010, 05:22 AM
I always just ship the pail as luggage. Usually comes to just under 50lbs. I think my last one came to around 49lbs? Its fine, just have them tag it as heavy and tape the lid real good so it doesn't open.

trilinearmipmap
09-04-2010, 01:34 AM
I always just ship the pail as luggage. Usually comes to just under 50lbs. I think my last one came to around 49lbs? Its fine, just have them tag it as heavy and tape the lid real good so it doesn't open.

Thanks.