PDA

View Full Version : Natural sunlight?

Don E
11-26-2003, 02:28 AM
Hi all-

I was just browsing Rcipema's (sp?) pics and he had a shot of his tank in morning sunlight. That's the first time I've seen anybody use sunlight on their tank. It got me thinking-

Is there any reason why you can't use natural light on your tank? If you can raise orchids and other high-light tropical plants on your windowsill in Calgary, why can't you do the same with corals?

It seems to me the biggest challenge would be heat control, but that should be manageable with air circulation (fans). You'd have to augment during the winter months to get your 12 hours of light, but what else is stopping reefers from saving huge bucks on lighting by using the Sun?

What do you think?

Don

Beverly
11-26-2003, 02:40 AM
Don,

I use natural light on my two reefs, but not direct summer sunlight because of the dramatic rise in tank temps. Both reefs are on the east wall, so in summer I keep the blinds closed until the sun passes and does not shine directly on the tanks. This time of year, the sun is weak and doesn't heat up the tanks, so I keep the blinds open all the time.

Here's my 72 gal bowfront with the blinds open:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/72gal-redo-tank-nov14-1.jpg

Here's the tank area of my living and dining rooms. Right to left, 72 gal bowfront, 42 gal hex, 28 gal SH tank, ball python terrarium (with the red heat lamp):

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-aquarium-livingroom-1.jpg

The 42 hex has light coming at it from three sides :cool:

Canadian Man
11-26-2003, 04:32 AM
Last year Tony and I had a chance to meet with Rob Toonen here in Calgary. We were discussing the natural light thing and the amount ones tank may receive with a south type facing window. Or a few hours of sunlight.

He said that the amount of light we would receive in a scenario like this is so minimal that it will not provide any significant benefit with regards to the critters in our tank that need light to survive.

That's the word from the expert. So unless we have a specific setup. eg.solatubes or many skylights like the fellow with the 2000G aquarium I am afraid we will get no benefit.

EmilyB
11-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Personally, I think I am having some pretty great results from tanks kept in a windowless room, on timers with a moonlight. :idea:

props
11-26-2003, 07:05 AM
oh wow nice place there bev
awesome setups
=o)

Doug
11-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Agreed, that looks nice Bev.

I once had a tank near a window that recieved morning sunlight. It drowned out a 250w Iwasaki. My bubble coral use to love that light every morning.

At night, the street light provided moonlight. :smile:

Beverly
11-27-2003, 01:53 AM
Thanks, Doug and ProPs :smile:

I can't ever see myself giving up free extra light for my tanks :wink:

Don E
11-27-2003, 02:58 AM
I agree, beautiful tanks Beverly.

I have a little sunlight on my 20G in the mornings, and it totally drowns out my PC's.

I can't really imagine that window sunlight would be an insignificant influence- esp. in s. Alberta where we get so much of it.

d

Delphinus
11-27-2003, 03:56 AM
It seems like a lot to us, but it's really no comparison to a tropical sun.

A lot of the blues are filtered out by the atmosphere by the time it gets to us.

But hey it's cheap .... if you can try it go for it.

Canadian Man
11-27-2003, 05:32 AM
Not to mention the windows the light passes through rids it of good properties as well.

Beverly
11-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Jonathan,

Not to mention the dirt on the windows :mrgreen:

I'm still gonna take advantage of the light - windows, dirt and all :smile:

Bob I
11-27-2003, 03:30 PM
A lot of the blues are filtered out by the atmosphere by the time it gets to us.

Are you absolutely certain of that Tony :question: I kinow glass filters out UV, but blue filtered out by atmosphere :question: I don't know

Delphinus
11-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Have you ever seen a sunset? What colour is it? :razz:

Bob I
11-28-2003, 01:19 AM
Have you ever seen a sunset? What colour is it? :razz:

Got me there, but is that not angle of incidence :question:

Delphinus
11-28-2003, 02:03 AM
Partly, but the amount of atmosphere a photon must traverse is directly proportional to the angle of incidence. If that photon is aiming for the equator it enters the atmosphere at a vector normal (i.e., perpendicular) to the surface of the earth. So it has the least amount of distance to travel. Also all his buddies are all hitting of surface area of the earth that is the smallest in comparison to the same number of photons hitting a surface at any degree other than zero. So more photons per unit area and least amount of atmosphere.

At our latitude thus there are fewer photons per unit surface area, and more atmosphere.

At sunset there are fewer photons yet (thus least amount of intensity) and the furthest distance to travel through atmosphere.

And now my brain hurts. THANKS a lot, I haven't had to sing and dance like that since I was in school!! :razz: