PDA

View Full Version : Rid Live Rock Of Pests

Bugsy
08-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Hello All,

I no longer have my saltwater setup but thought I would post something that I just read in a magazine I subscribe to. Maybe you all know about it, but for the ones that don't I found it very interesting.

Rid Live Rock Of Pests

There's an easy way to get rid of pests before placing live rock in the aquarium. First, scrub the new rocks to get rid of any unwanted sponges or algae, then lightly rinse with fresh water or some of your saltwater. Then take each cleaned rock and drop it into a bucket filled with common club soda (get the least expensive brand possible). Within a few minutes, every crab, worm or mantis will be jumping out of the rock. After a soak of about 5 minutes, lightly rinse off the rock with some water as noted, and place the rock directly into the aquarium. Net out the monsters from the pail, and continue with other rocks. Replace the club soda when it loses its fizz. Any club soda still in the rock will not hurt the aquarium water, as it is only water and carbon dioxide (co2) to begin with. Belieive me those unwanted pests will quickly abandon their home in the new rock, as they can't breathe in the super-saturated colution of co2. The beneficial bacteria on or in the rock won't be overly harmed, as the soaking time for the rock is quite short.

Cheers
Bugsy

Madreefer
08-31-2010, 01:13 AM
Sounds like a great idea. Thanks I learned something today.

Bugsy
08-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Your welcome....:biggrin:

TheKid
08-31-2010, 02:01 AM
i ve used the club soda method before to get rid of a mantis:mrgreen:

StirCrazy
08-31-2010, 03:02 AM
sounds like a good way to waist money. if you want dead rock buy dead rock a lot cheeper.

the critters inside are what makes it live rock. yes if you have a problem then you can remove one chunk and treat it after you find where the evil monster is living.

as for scrubbing sponges off the rock some one should slap the guy who wrote that, they are a very benificial filter. I do agree with getting rid of algae though.. but there are other ways to do that which won't give you a final result of dead rock.

Steve

naesco
08-31-2010, 04:29 AM
I got to agree with Stir but there are clearly two ways to go. To each their own.

I prefer the natural way. I want the live rock to be teeming with tonnes of varied life. I can deal with the pests if they happen.

One peppermint shrimp will soon munch down any aptaisia plague and I am not going to worry about a few here and there.

If hair algae becomes a problem I will borrow a sea hare for two weeks and the hair algae plague is gone.

I believe the more life there is in the rock and sand the more natural food there is for the fish and coral that thrive on it.

StirCrazy
08-31-2010, 05:30 AM
I got to agree with Stir

I bet that hurt didn't it :mrgreen:

Steve

naesco
08-31-2010, 02:35 PM
I bet that hurt didn't it :mrgreen:

Steve Not at all lol.

daniella3d
08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
Seems to me like your process will effectively kill the good as well as the bad. If you're going to do that, you might as well buy base rock.

Hello All,

I no longer have my saltwater setup but thought I would post something that I just read in a magazine I subscribe to. Maybe you all know about it, but for the ones that don't I found it very interesting.

Rid Live Rock Of Pests

There's an easy way to get rid of pests before placing live rock in the aquarium. First, scrub the new rocks to get rid of any unwanted sponges or algae, then lightly rinse with fresh water or some of your saltwater. Then take each cleaned rock and drop it into a bucket filled with common club soda (get the least expensive brand possible). Within a few minutes, every crab, worm or mantis will be jumping out of the rock. After a soak of about 5 minutes, lightly rinse off the rock with some water as noted, and place the rock directly into the aquarium. Net out the monsters from the pail, and continue with other rocks. Replace the club soda when it loses its fizz. Any club soda still in the rock will not hurt the aquarium water, as it is only water and carbon dioxide (co2) to begin with. Belieive me those unwanted pests will quickly abandon their home in the new rock, as they can't breathe in the super-saturated colution of co2. The beneficial bacteria on or in the rock won't be overly harmed, as the soaking time for the rock is quite short.

Cheers
Bugsy

Bugsy
08-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Just to let you all know THIS IS NOT MY METHOD it was an article that I copied from a magazine I subscribe to and thought I would post it so everyone could read it. I have never tried this method, I am not saying to use this method either.

I am no longer in the salwater hobby as I sold everything and don`t regret it at all.

Have a good day all......:wink:

Try and give positive feed back and help to new comers in this hobby. Kindness goes a long way.

donlite
08-31-2010, 06:56 PM
your both right its a candy and a breath mint:lol: