PDA

View Full Version : Tank stand.

Seth72
08-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Silly me bought a custom made 120 gallon tank,not thinking that i now need a custom stand.

If anyone has a nice wood stand for sale that would work for a tank exactly 24 inches,by 48 1/4 inches,please let me know. Thanks

Seth72
09-01-2010, 11:20 PM
bump

I really need one....would also consider paying someone to build me one,but im not going to pay the 1000 plus that the stores want for a cheap peice of junk that amounts to no more than a cupboard.

Im pretty handy with building stuff too,but i couldnt finish it off nice enough for the front room of a house ,i need someone with more tools and more finishing know how. thanks:sad:

reefwars
09-02-2010, 01:17 AM
seth i can build you a stand and it wouldnt cost you a thing outside of materials im a carpenter:) pm me with what your looking for and well see if we can work something out:):)

Edmonton newbie
09-02-2010, 01:21 AM
yup yup you pick up the materials and spend an afternoon at my place i too am a carpenter kind of lol

Seth72
09-02-2010, 01:43 AM
seth i can build you a stand and it wouldnt cost you a thing outside of materials im a carpenter:) pm me with what your looking for and well see if we can work something out:):)

What an awsome group of people....ive had a few people offer to help me out,i have no problem paying for someones time and materials,im just not so nuts as to pay a local fish store 1000 to 1500 bucks,more than i paid to get my tank built.

Ive been interested in this hobby since i went snorkling in Aruba a few years ago and I am just starting to get into it now,i just have the tank done. But it seems to me that the local fish stores are never very busy and the mark up seems crazy.

Im suprised that someone doesnt open up a store with lower prices working on volume,ie. build ten tanks at 200 dollars profit each instead of one at 500 bucks profit.Just a newbies view on it.

reefwars
09-02-2010, 02:19 AM
unfortunately it doesnt work like that , from a business point of view theres alot more to consider like building maintanance,taxes,employees,merchandise,customer satisfaction,sueings,borders,shipping fees,building lease fees,etc. and the list is endless, all these have to be paid for from their products or services.ill admit i wish it was cheaper and some things seem way overpriced but as a customer i look at getting a deal, but as a business owner i look beyond what i see and whats in the bigger picture:) youd be surprised at how often an lfs will try to help you out regardless of how much money you have its the continuous business they want , well the good ones anyways:):) try to buy from local reefers but remember this stuff doesnt grow here and it couldnt hurt to support your local fish store if there was ever a major problem you would be wise to have some friends in the business:):)

Seth72
09-02-2010, 02:50 AM
unfortunately it doesnt work like that , from a business point of view theres alot more to consider like building maintanance,taxes,employees,merchandise,customer satisfaction,sueings,borders,shipping fees,building lease fees,etc. and the list is endless, all these have to be paid for from their products or services.ill admit i wish it was cheaper and some things seem way overpriced but as a customer i look at getting a deal, but as a business owner i look beyond what i see and whats in the bigger picture:) youd be surprised at how often an lfs will try to help you out regardless of how much money you have its the continuous business they want , well the good ones anyways:):) try to buy from local reefers but remember this stuff doesnt grow here and it couldnt hurt to support your local fish store if there was ever a major problem you would be wise to have some friends in the business:):)

Fair enough,but i have no doubt that the local stores will make plenty from me,but i also like to support my local electronics store and my local bank...:lol: Im just saying that some of the stands ive seen for sale,have been for sale for a very long time....there is a good reason for that.

reefwars
09-02-2010, 03:14 AM
it sucks that its so expensive but its not just aquariums that are like it , its hobbies in general my friend is huge into biking paid over 10,000 for his bike ,a hobby of mine is music and that gets pricey too. any hobby is pretty much expensive and for the most part the local business just get by some go under. its always nice to find that special deal or great buy but its not always there so we jump on it when we can and spend for it when we have to it keeps everything balanced....the stores get a profit and we keep finding different deals etc. :) another good side note is eventually your tank will be filled(if its not already) and youll be looking for trades and the deals will find you you may even give it away for nothin, i bet the majority of reefers around here have given things away for nothing due to size etc. i know i have :)

ReefOcean
09-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Yes, most stands and caps in LFS are junk. Yes it costs a lot for freight and import duties but as a frequent furniture and home decor importer , there is no reason to pay 800 bucks for a pressedboard stand when you can have a solid mahogany one brought in on container from Shenzhen for a grand or cheaper. The fact is, if we are spending 2k-10k on a system to show off in my livingroom, why would I put it on a imitation pine stand that bubbles and warps? I mean, I don't have bubbly second hand Ikea furniture in my living from from 1985, why would I need a matching stand?

But yes, supporting the local lFS is our duty since most are great and helful and it is a tight knit community in the reefing world. BUUUT geez, they should stock better stands. I can source some if any of you LFS are interested :lol:

Sorry for the non-selling/buying related rambling.

reefwars
09-02-2010, 03:19 AM
and the stand i would think is there to show what they can build if you liked kind of give people an idea of what is out there or what they would need or it could be plain ol lack of business.personally i agree that stands have a high price of labour in them for what they are and if you were half good its not that hard to do for a basic finished stand, custom stands need a little more tlc and you could go high end which is where youll see a big jump in price:)

ReefOcean
09-02-2010, 03:23 AM
High end being made of actual hardwood...no not Poplar... (but 40 times more expensive than the actual board foot market price because NOTHING except Bentley dash boards are made from real solid hardwood anymore.:lol:

reefwars
09-02-2010, 03:23 AM
personally coming from a carpenter if you build a stand from pressboard your wasting your money i cant believe it sells ive seen pressboard soak up water and swell to 3x its origional width ...garbage, if it gets dented then wet swells ..garbage lol i hate it, my stand is made completely from maple and pine all done customly by my self just not finished as i rarely finish my own projects lol :):)

reefwars
09-02-2010, 03:25 AM
sucks i need to paint my house but ive been painting 16hrs a day all week lol:):)

StirCrazy
09-02-2010, 03:29 AM
my stand is made completely from maple and pine all done customly by my self just not finished as i rarely finish my own projects lol :):)

thats an interesting combanation, are both wood visible? or did you use pine for the hidden stuff?

Steve

The Grizz
09-02-2010, 03:39 AM
I used birch to make the top and doors on my steel stand and then use a stain with varathane, nice wood grain patterns and nice to work with for a welder. :biggrin:

I priced it out to build all quality wood or steel with wood skins and if you have seen my thread you know which way I went.

reefwars
09-02-2010, 03:40 AM
the pine is hidden as it is very soft and its in a high traffic area plus its cheap and easy to use everything else is in maple then stained very dark im going for an antique look with matching trim going up the corners on all sides then canopy all trimmmed out with a very decorative trim its actually crown moulding im just gonna customize it a bit. its not cheap though the stand is being done in four stages the first stage set me back 700 and that was just skirting and framing .the second stage was trim the skirting and prep and stain the trim was another 300 plus cost of stain,clear coat etc. did it all in a few hours though so im in to it a 1000 bucks but i dont have a crap quick mix stand:) now i just got to finish it lately theres been no ambition as the bottom half looks done:) the next step is to finish my corner pieces that ill pre stain then ill do the grusome task of making the canopy which im not quite sure yet as i may change my light set up:)

The Grizz
09-02-2010, 03:53 AM
WOW that should look sweet reefwars.

reefwars
09-02-2010, 03:58 AM
im hoping so its taken alot longer than i wanted i could have done it in two days who knows maybe one but i keep puttin it off, the good news is i have the materials and im going to do it once i finish some work im doing:):) my problem is also i keep changing what i want im still undecided on if i want doors or not i allowed for it in case but its covered up so you dont know its there now i have access to the back enough for my liking but i cant help but wonder if i would like doors better and once i cut for doors theres no replacing its done:):)

reefwars
09-02-2010, 03:59 AM
sorry seth if we hi jacked this thread its not hard to wander and stray lol:)

Milad
09-02-2010, 05:37 AM
Yes, most stands and caps in LFS are junk. Yes it costs a lot for freight and import duties but as a frequent furniture and home decor importer , there is no reason to pay 800 bucks for a pressedboard stand when you can have a solid mahogany one brought in on container from Shenzhen for a grand or cheaper. The fact is, if we are spending 2k-10k on a system to show off in my livingroom, why would I put it on a imitation pine stand that bubbles and warps? I mean, I don't have bubbly second hand Ikea furniture in my living from from 1985, why would I need a matching stand?

But yes, supporting the local lFS is our duty since most are great and helful and it is a tight knit community in the reefing world. BUUUT geez, they should stock better stands. I can source some if any of you LFS are interested :lol:

Sorry for the non-selling/buying related rambling.

where you see stands for a 1k?

lastlight
09-02-2010, 05:57 AM
When you guys say you used pine, maple, birch or whatever...do you mean plywood with a veneer? That seems to be the nicest stuff I see at home depot etc...

reefwars
09-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Sort of my stand is done in 3/4 " ply on top of framing then maple ply 1/2" it's done with complete trim all around and my corners are done in three pieces with the center piece a rope trim it's the only wood on there I'm not sure of and it creates a rounded corner. at the top of the stand is my customized crown moulding(maple) the corners run up to and have been cut to fit, a thin strip of maple is ran down to fill in the top of crown moulding where the gap is creating a flat surface again:) now I'm ready to do my round corners again up to the canopy:) hope this makes sense I'll post a pic tomorrow I took some pics once I started staining:) but basically I didn't want a hollow stand so I used regular 3/4"plywood then my maple it's strong and cheap considering it's never seen anyways:) all Finish done with brads and finishing nails:)