PDA

View Full Version : adding to my sandbed???

reefwars
08-30-2010, 04:21 AM
hey all i am wanting to make my sandbed in my 110 mixed reef tank bigger i was thinking the 1" was going to be fine but now im wanting more im looking for some do's and dont's??? ill be using new sand havent picked any out yet and just adding a bit here and there i read somewhere that you can use a long piece of pvc to drop sand in so it doesnt cloud your system any thoughts??? anyharm in adding to my sand bed considering its loaded with fish and corals lps and softies???? thanks:)

Madreefer
08-30-2010, 04:36 AM
You won't have any problems adding new sand, it won't hurt anything the way you are planning. I used a 1 liter icecream pail (the ones from DQ) and just slowly lowered it in and than just poured it out once at the bottom. No sand clouds.

monocus
08-30-2010, 06:23 AM
put water in the pail of sand first-it helps with the cloudyness

bryceschutte
08-30-2010, 11:24 AM
If your at 1" right now, your going to want to either go all the way up to 4" or just stay at 1". Google it.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/filtersfiltrationsetup/a/aadsbdiscussion.htm

reefwars
08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
i will be going different in diff places on my sides may see up to 3-4 inches prob around 3 on average everywhere else:) thanks guys:)

Buzz
08-30-2010, 04:02 PM
I have used ziplock bags to add to my sand bed. Rinse the sand put in zip lock bag and sink to the bottom then open and dump out slowly. I also turned off all water movement in my tank while I did this. It worked very well for me I had almost no dust.

Dustin L