PDA

View Full Version : Zoas are not happy...

ungp
08-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Recently added some zoas to my setup and hasn't been happy since. This was about 3 weeks ago. All others in tank are doing very well (fish, inverts and other softies)

Params are:
Ammonia = 0 or not detectable
Nitrite = 0 or not detectable
Nitrate = 0 or not detectable
SG = 1.022
KH = 142
Calcium = 380
pH = 8.0
Temp = 78-80 F

not running carbon

these params were taken 24 hr after the last water change, i've done 2 water changes in the last 7 day. About 15%-20% each change. I use RO/DI water. The TDS from my RO/DI indicate 0 ppm

What gives????

thanks in advance.

Llamarama
08-30-2010, 02:10 AM
my zoas kept melting till i upped the SG to 1.025 or higher...but thats just my two cents :)

daniella3d
08-30-2010, 02:16 AM
Yes I think your salinity it too low. Also what lighting are you putting them under? zoanthids usualy like it low for the lighting and putting them under high light can make them melt.

They need to be acclimated to the strong light very slowly.

people say zoanthids are beginer coral but they are some of the hardest coral to keep. I keep sps without any problem, I even keep alveopora and goniopora without any problem but when zoanthids decide they are not happy, they just melt away.

I have problem with my zoanthids since I switched salt to H2O, so I am going back to Instant Ocean as soon as I finish that batch.

Before I switched salt my zoanthids were growing like weeds, tripling each week. What brand of salt are you using?

Recently added some zoas to my setup and hasn't been happy since. This was about 3 weeks ago. All others in tank are doing very well (fish, inverts and other softies)

Params are:
Ammonia = 0 or not detectable
Nitrite = 0 or not detectable
Nitrate = 0 or not detectable
SG = 1.022
KH = 142
Calcium = 380
pH = 8.0
Temp = 78-80 F

not running carbon

these params were taken 24 hr after the last water change, i've done 2 water changes in the last 7 day. About 15%-20% each change. I use RO/DI water. The TDS from my RO/DI indicate 0 ppm

What gives????

thanks in advance.

The Grizz
08-30-2010, 02:17 AM
I also run at 1.025 for salinity not sure if that is your case but who now's.

reefwars
08-30-2010, 02:19 AM
cant comment on salinity but i find most of my zoas do better in medium lighting, their all different though some like lots some like barely none it all depends on your zoas but you can move them to another spot untill you see some improvement, i also find they dont like direct flow and grow better in medium flow areas. some zoas are very hardy and cant be killed while some are unpredictable they really are fasinating :):)do you feed your corals??380 is a bit low for calcium you may want to bump it up a bit to around 450 mine runs at 450-475:) good luck

ungp
08-30-2010, 03:09 AM
Running T5 lightings (RSM 34G). placement of the zoas are middle to near bottom. Using Instant Ocean for salt mix.

Will be bumping my SG tomorrow to 1.025 and calcium to 400 and see.
I feed all my lps with Kent Marine phytomax

reefwars
08-30-2010, 03:13 AM
can you describe whats not right with your zoas and post a pic??

daniella3d
08-30-2010, 03:21 AM
woa, do not bump your salinity so quicly, especialy if you have invertebrates in there or fish. But even for coral, don't do it so quickly. It's better to go from 1.022 to 1.025 in a few days.

My zoanthids love frozen cyclopeeze. I don,t think any of my coral eat phytoplankton, mostly zooplankton like rotifers and cyclops.

Running T5 lightings (RSM 34G). placement of the zoas are middle to near bottom. Using Instant Ocean for salt mix.

Will be bumping my SG tomorrow to 1.025 and calcium to 400 and see.
I feed all my lps with Kent Marine phytomax

reefwars
08-30-2010, 03:26 AM
zooplankton here also plus marine snow from tlf:)