PDA

View Full Version : Flood protection! How to automatically turn off pumps...

LostMind
11-25-2003, 05:49 PM
Basically, I was thinking a float switch of some sort. have my return pumps plugged into the float switch and have the float switch installed in the sump so that when the water level in the sump got too low, the pumps would be shut off... But I haven't seen them available for sale anywhere.

Anyone know where I could buy sumpin like this?

Chad
11-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Basically, I was thinking a float switch of some sort. have my return pumps plugged into the float switch and have the float switch installed in the sump so that when the water level in the sump got too low, the pumps would be shut off... But I haven't seen them available for sale anywhere.

Anyone know where I could buy sumpin like this?

This is exactly what I am doing.. I know you can find the parts on the net.. I will get a link for you when I get home.

Chad

LostMind
11-25-2003, 08:59 PM
thanks man!

Chad
11-25-2003, 09:49 PM
This works too if you don't want to make your own...

http://www.webalter.com/lifereef/float.html

Chad

Scavenger
11-25-2003, 09:57 PM
What about a float switch for a boats bilge pump. I had to replace one in my old boat once and I remember it was available as a part so I didn't have to buy the whole unit.

LostMind
11-26-2003, 06:21 AM
the lifereef one looks perfect...but shipping from the us is a pain :(

Jack
11-26-2003, 07:13 AM
Are you worried about your display overflowing or your pump running dry?

What are you using to get your water to your sump?

That lifereef thingy looks expensive :lol:

LostMind
11-26-2003, 04:11 PM
worried about the display overflowing and ruining my nice hardwood :)

pumps are relatively cheap compared to new flooring...

I am using two velocity T4 pumps.

Yah, the lifereef thingie is a bit $$$.... but oh well.

Chad
11-26-2003, 04:36 PM
I am not all that worried about flooding (building a 20 gal containment into my tank stand).. since if you place your pumps right when the level gets too low it just won't contact the water.. same with your overflow.. if the water gets too low it just won't take any more down.. My worry is that when that happens I don't want to burn out my pumps. So having a float switch to turn it off is ideal.

Chad