PDA

View Full Version : Advice for tank transfer?

lastlight
08-29-2010, 05:14 PM
So I'm adding salt in a few hours to the new tank and I'll be getting those params all balanced out in the next day or so. I was wondering if my plan of attack is sound for the livestock transfer?

1) Don't plan to move any old water over. Bacteria are not in the water column but on the rocks. My thinking is that If I move my four rocks over into the new tank submerged in buckets there will be no die-off and everyone should be fine.

2) I have some new sand still I can toss in the new tank but not enough. I'd like to transfer my sandbed over too as only now is it starting to really develop a more diverse collection of critters in there. After my rock, fish and corals are out I was planning on just netting a bit of sand at a time, swishing it about in the water to remove detritus and putting it into the new tank. The sand is no more than 1" deep anywhere in the tank. I figure swishing it gently will preserve all the worms and pods in the sandbed.

3) Let the new tank run like this for a couple weeks and then add a new rock to the tank every week or so for maybe a month. I plan to add maybe 4 new rocks to the tank.

What's everyone's thought on this plan?

christyf5
08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
So I'm adding salt in a few hours to the new tank and I'll be getting those params all balanced out in the next day or so. I was wondering if my plan of attack is sound for the livestock transfer?

1) Don't plan to move any old water over. Bacteria are not in the water column but on the rocks. My thinking is that If I move my four rocks over into the new tank submerged in buckets there will be no die-off and everyone should be fine.

2) I have some new sand still I can toss in the new tank but not enough. I'd like to transfer my sandbed over too as only now is it starting to really develop a more diverse collection of critters in there. After my rock, fish and corals are out I was planning on just netting a bit of sand at a time, swishing it about in the water to remove detritus and putting it into the new tank. The sand is no more than 1" deep anywhere in the tank. I figure swishing it gently will preserve all the worms and pods in the sandbed.

3) Let the new tank run like this for a couple weeks and then add a new rock to the tank every week or so for maybe a month. I plan to add maybe 4 new rocks to the tank.

What's everyone's thought on this plan?

Plan looks sound to me. Have you thought about just "cooking" the new rock in a rubbermaid on its own (if its uncured) to make it easier on the tank when you add it? If its cured, its no bother really, I've added cured rock before without any problems (except for the zillion crab hitchhikers that appeared in the coming months :neutral:).

I'd still move some of the old water over, but thats just me. I always took that water out first and didn't put anything in with it.

PoonTang
08-29-2010, 06:28 PM
You could also add your new rock to your old tank and let it run there for a little bit to help it cure. Have you thought about perhaps slowly transfering everthing from 1 tank to another over a period of several week's if possible? Say something like moving 1 rock and 2 fish per week to the new system?

christyf5
08-29-2010, 06:30 PM
You could also add your new rock to your old tank and let it run there for a little bit to help it cure. Have you thought about perhaps slowly transfering everthing from 1 tank to another over a period of several week's if possible? Say something like moving 1 rock and 2 fish per week to the new system?

But if he's increasing the tank volume it wouldn't matter if he just moved everything over at once, IMO. Much easier than piecemealing it out over time (unless Brett, your plan is to keep both tanks running indefinitely).

Lance
08-29-2010, 06:31 PM
I agree with Christy. I'd transfer some of the old water over.
Good luck with the move. :thumb:

lastlight
08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys.

The new rock (if it's like the rock I started this tank with) hopefully won't cycle. As odd as it was my rock from Red Coral didn't cycle...at least not according to Elos.

The old tank will be shut down so I'd prefer to move it all over at once. What's everyone's motive for using some of the old water? I'll ensure the basic 3 match in both tanks. Is the concern ph? Shock from things we don't measure being different in the new water? Or does old water hold magical powers? :razz:

lorenz0
08-29-2010, 08:35 PM
here is my way, get wasted the night before. Why? cause your so hung over the next day that your mind works on a routine and worrying does not comply in your head. Than after the move drink again. By the time everything is settled the next day and your cured of your hang over at dinner time everything will be fine and nothing to worry about.

Sounds like you have everything under control. best of luck dude

Madreefer
08-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Over the years i've done alot of tank transfers and have always used the same water with no problems. Most of them were to a larger system so I just thought of it as a bit of a water change since I was adding new water anyways. I know it does'nt make any sense but it saves on salt. I just did a bigger water change after a week of the tank setup. Have never lost anything in the process.

christyf5
08-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys.

The old tank will be shut down so I'd prefer to move it all over at once. What's everyone's motive for using some of the old water? I'll ensure the basic 3 match in both tanks. Is the concern ph? Shock from things we don't measure being different in the new water? Or does old water hold magical powers? :razz:

My vote is shock and magical powers. The real magic though is that huge batch of new water mixed in with it. Nothing will ever look quite as awesome as with that first massive "water change" IMO. I always saw my LPS inflate, SPS with super extended PE, it was pretty wild (also that whole new tank look is pretty neat-o). I usually aimed for 40% old water but sometimes it was much less (like 20%) depending on how many extra tubs I had handy.

lastlight
08-30-2010, 04:40 AM
To test the new system and be able to bring the sump etc all online I had to of course mix up saltwater to fill the entire thing. So waste isn't really a concern I guess as I had to fill the thing anyhow. Question is do I bring the system params inline and add my livestock or do that THEN siphon 30 gallons out (new fresh water) and add 30 from the old tank (which has now gone 2 weeks without a waterchange because I've been busy with all this).

I'm also considering buying however much rock I want to add, adding it and letting it cycle in the new setup for however long that may take. Could be really fast or your standard few weeks. Then add the livestock...

Lance
08-30-2010, 05:22 AM
To test the new system and be able to bring the sump etc all online I had to of course mix up saltwater to fill the entire thing. So waste isn't really a concern I guess as I had to fill the thing anyhow. Question is do I bring the system params inline and add my livestock or do that THEN siphon 30 gallons out (new fresh water) and add 30 from the old tank (which has now gone 2 weeks without a waterchange because I've been busy with all this).

I'm also considering buying however much rock I want to add, adding it and letting it cycle in the new setup for however long that may take. Could be really fast or your standard few weeks. Then add the livestock...

If you're going to add new live rock, I'd let it cycle first before livestock.
If not, fill the new tank to aprox 30 gals less than full. Siphon most of the water out of the old tank into the new before you move your livestock. This will make catching the fish easier. Harder for them to elude you and hide with little water and rock in the tank. After the livestock is in top up the new tank with the leftover old water. Good Luck!

lastlight
08-30-2010, 05:28 AM
So Lance you're suggesting tossing out 30 gallons or so of my new water? System is 100% full and circulating right now.

What I could do is do waterchanges for a few weeks using water from the new tank lol. Dump the old water into the new tank.

And yeah think I'll grab all my new rock and let it cycle. I never had a cycle last time and maybe I'll get lucky again.

Lance
08-30-2010, 05:57 AM
So Lance you're suggesting tossing out 30 gallons or so of my new water? System is 100% full and circulating right now.

What I could do is do waterchanges for a few weeks using water from the new tank lol. Dump the old water into the new tank.

And yeah think I'll grab all my new rock and let it cycle. I never had a cycle last time and maybe I'll get lucky again.

Oh, I didn't know you had already filled the new tank with new SW. If you're adding some new live rock it's a good idea to let it cycle. You may not get much of one though.
I just don't like to add livestock to brand new water. Even a large water change can sometimes shock the animals. Don't know where I read it but it was recommended to never change more than 50% of the water unless of course it's an emergency. Too hard on the critters.

lastlight
08-30-2010, 06:02 AM
At that point I guess it is like your old tank is the LFS...new tank is well...your new tank. Animals feel that shock all over again.

I think I'll cycle all my new rock and then swap water between the 2 tanks in 5g batches over the course of a few weeks to let all the water mix and become very close to the same.