PDA

View Full Version : ID on a worm

flipzed
08-29-2010, 03:28 AM
so was sitting there watching the tank tonight and i saw somthing creeping outta the cave it had like white antennas 3 i beleive maybe 4, anyways it latched on to a hermit crab and tried pulling it in to its hole. it had a white body with white antennas and i saw atleast an inch of his body thru another hole in the rock. i know for sure its not a bristle worm ive seen those before. has anyone seen one before or know what it is or called?

Thanks

Snufflupagus
08-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Could be a fire worm! Tons of different kinds, though I have a pink with white tenticle one in my tank.

flipzed
08-29-2010, 04:17 AM
hmmm strange i looked it up looked nothing like those ones. this one i seen has 3-4 white antennas at the front of it that are like 1/4"-1/2" long it moved very fast, like i said it latched onto a hermit and almost sucked him right into the rock, luckily he got away. i would take a pictures but it dosnt come out for very long.

bignose
08-29-2010, 04:29 AM
Could be a Eunicid worm.

untamed
08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
The 5 "antennae" give that one away...That is definitely a Eunicid worm. There are tons of kinds of these, some problematic, some not. Some get HUGE (like 7 feet long)..some stay less than a few inches.

Observe and try to see what it eats. I kept one for many years that was exclusively vegan and quite a pet.

If it is destructive, you'll never catch it using a trap or anything like that. You'll have to remove the rock it lives in...smash up the rock or use soda water or vinegar to get him to abandon the rock somehow.