PDA

View Full Version : bristleworms

Chad
11-25-2003, 05:33 AM
Ok, for future reference, what is a person to do if they get nailed by a bristleworm??? What sort of medical attention is required if any?

Thanks in advance :eek:

Chad

Aquattro
11-25-2003, 05:36 AM
Any time I get nailed by one, I say a bad word or three and try to pick the bristles out with my teeth (which doesn't work BTW).

EmilyB
11-25-2003, 05:37 AM
As a veteran of 1000 bites.. :rolleyes: some say vinegar on the bite. I tried bleach once it worked well.

Worst case scenario(provided you are not allergic) is fingers swollen, itchy and throbbing. Reactine will reduce these symptons.

LostMind
11-25-2003, 05:42 AM
my reef invertebrates book says you will experience symptoms ranging from a mild itch to severe burning sensation. Try removing embedded bristles with duct tape (the author must be canadian! LONG LIVE RED GREEN!) or to use a liquid bandage, allow it to dry and peel it off, along with the bristles.

Doesnt say "seek immediate medical attention" like it does when referencing the diadema urchin, so I guess bristleworm attacks are only annoying and not too too serious :)

Quinn
11-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Does hot water help at all? And what about crazy glue? Pour some on, let it dry, scrub it off?

EmptyMind
11-25-2003, 05:49 AM
I didn't know they were poisonous... that 8inch long worm I have in my tank I think just moved up to 'scary' status.. :)

do they 'attack' or did you just brush against it or something?

EmilyB
11-25-2003, 05:51 AM
The hottest water you can stand will help, yes.

They don't attack you....eeeww that is scary.. :eek: I just move stuff around a lot with bare hands and get bit all the time by simply touching them. :lol:

Bob I
11-25-2003, 04:21 PM
It is a funny thing, but I have picked them up with my bare hands to remove some from my tank. I did not experience any stings at all. Maybe not everyone is sensitized :question: If I try to move my Closed Brains, or Caulastria bare handed, I get funny feelings in my fingertips. :eek:

Chad
11-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Lots of interesting tips.. I have run into only a few tiny bristel worms myself and have kept clear of em but I am sure eventualy I will get nailed by one..

If anyone else has more tips please post them..

Chad

dekay
11-25-2003, 05:32 PM
nobody uses aquarium gloves? :eek:

Aquattro
11-25-2003, 05:35 PM

Only if the water is really cold...."brrrrr" :razz:

Seriously, a bristleworm sting is mildly irritating, nothing to wear gloves about. There is no way I could move and place things wearing those arm length gloves.

LostMind
11-25-2003, 05:37 PM
I have gloves, but they are akward and leak... which sorta defeats the purpose! :(

Jack
11-25-2003, 05:37 PM
I hear vinager melts the bristles. Try maybe a warm vinager soulition?

Chad
11-25-2003, 07:17 PM

I do but I find that I don't have the "touch" I need whem moving corals. I try and just drop them etc so I gave up and whenever I lift a rock I look under it etc to check for bristelworms..

Chad

Chad
11-25-2003, 07:18 PM
I hear vinager melts the bristles. Try maybe a warm vinager soulition?

Melts the bristles?? thats interesting.. anyone try that?

Chad

Jack
11-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Well you can't pull them out so the vinager dissolves them. I've heard people use this method but I've never gotten it bad enough to try. :mrgreen:

Buccaneer
11-25-2003, 08:29 PM
In Jamaica we did something similar if you stepped on a Black sea urchin ... all I will say is it was acidic and effective :eek: < never thought of using vinegar though ... of course our way was cheaper :cool: >

Cheers

Chad
11-25-2003, 08:39 PM
In Jamaica we did something similar if you stepped on a Black sea urchin ... all I will say is it was acidic and effective :eek: < never thought of using vinegar though ... of course our way was cheaper :cool: >

Cheers

Hehe, not sure I want to negotiate that if I get stung by a bristleworm.. vinegar sounds like a much better choice :biggrin:

Chad

Quinn
11-25-2003, 09:30 PM
Bah, vinegar costs money. You can't tell me you don't let loose in the shower anyways. Combats athlete's foot as well!

Stretch
11-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Never been stung, But one thing i've heard of was using glue, let it dry then peel it off and the bristles should come with it.