PDA

View Full Version : Sand

TNTCanada
11-25-2003, 05:20 AM
Has anyone heard of buying southdown sand at Home Depot for aquariums? My cousin in the States was telling me about it as they and others they know have used it in their tanks without any problems.

Thanks!
Tara

Aquattro
11-25-2003, 05:24 AM
Tara, this takes us back to me mentioning New Jersey. It is only available east of the mississipi, and once in a while the eastern provinces. Sorry, no SD in BC :neutral:

TNTCanada
11-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Brad. Is it expensive to order?

Scavenger
11-25-2003, 04:04 PM
Tara, this takes us back to me mentioning New Jersey. It is only available east of the mississipi, and once in a while the eastern provinces. Sorry, no SD in BC :neutral:

Yup, my search for SD was in vain . Do you have any recommendations for locally available lower cost sand brands Brad?

Quinn
11-25-2003, 04:04 PM
For the cost of shipping, you may as well buy aragonite from your LFS.

Aquattro
11-25-2003, 05:32 PM
For the cost of shipping, you may as well buy aragonite from your LFS.

Not only that, but HD won't even bring it in if you offer to pay. The HD in victoria couldn't even find the SKU# when I inquired.
Really, the only option is to buy the stuff locally. J&L sells caribsea and I think Seacre sells it in branded bags from Saltwater Connection. After shipping, you might want to try bargaining at some of the local stores. Some people use other types of sand (silica, glass beads, etc) but I have no experience with those. When I needed some sand recently, I bought it locally at the LFS.