PDA

View Full Version : Copperband butterfly

Doug
08-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Just thought I would post some of this info again for all those asking about keeping copperbands lately.

I had good luck with this one, except he liked to sample ornamental clams. You need to find a healthy looking specimen in the store and after its been there for a bit. You could tell almost with in days which ones we got in would be healthy.

If it was me, I would want to see them eating mysis first. Mine was a good aiptasia eater but also ate mysis and Marine pellets. After participating in a thread elsewhere, I decided to try fresh water clams for him. They are called Manila clams and sold in a bag, here at Superstore.

He/she, just loved them. I used the clip shown in the pic after attempting to recover half shells from the tank bottom. Kept the clams frozen. Took one out at feeding time, cut it in half, put the other half back and the other part on the clip.

All the other fish also loved this and lined up behind the copperband for the particles falling away.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/fish_004.jpg

Others have said this is one way to get finicky eaters to eat. Those of us whose ate aiptasia also, never seen any difference after they started to eat clam halves.

Now the big thing I question. Does feeding fresh water clams, induce them to eat ornamentals also. Most say no. Mine was already a clam nibbler when I started to feed the Manila,s so I cant comment on that and he/she never changed in that respect.

If no ornamentals are kept then no problem but if so, then keep an eye on them. Mind you Copperbands can turn on clams regardless.

So I hope this can be of some help.

Zoaelite
08-28-2010, 02:14 AM
It's hard to say as the clams are two completely different species, I wouldn't take the risk but you never know. I know of a few people that had tangs "Accidentally" munch on a few zoa polyps only to turn them into crazy zoa eating machines.

Doug
08-28-2010, 02:22 AM
The risk is to keep the copperband alive, which many have problems with. If one decides to keep a copperband, then one should be prepared to feed it properly and as both I did and the copperbands other owner, move the clams out if necessary.

I agree with Levi, that the clams being completely different, should not turn them on to ornamentals, which is also the general agreement of others in the mentioned thread.

All grazing fish are a risk to many of the corals we keep. Like his mentioned tang, my sailfin once ate a small piece of a large finger leather I was cutting, thinking it was his food. Decided that was pretty good. Although he never really bothered the leather, anytime I was fragging he was in my hands chowing down the pieces that floated loose. :lol:

plutoniumJoe
08-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Interesting thread. I have yet to get my copperband to eat pellets but look forward to the day where he might.

I have a question regarding the clams though, once they start on the clams are they still as interested in the mysis or even pellets at that point?

-Joe

Lance
08-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Interesting thread. I have yet to get my copperband to eat pellets but look forward to the day where he might.

I have a question regarding the clams though, once they start on the clams are they still as interested in the mysis or even pellets at that point?

-Joe

My CBB would eat only clams and mussels for months before he finally tried mysis. Now he will eat most meaty foods, but will not touch flakes or pellets. And yes he still loves his clams.

Doug
08-28-2010, 04:50 PM

-Joe

Mine was eating mysis before and yes, still ran them down when I fed. All my fish have always ate the Ocean Nutrition formula one small pellets and I was surprised by the copperband picking some up from the bottom. I dont believe it was a favourite food though.

2pts
09-17-2010, 03:16 AM
Mine eats Mysis Shrimp and any Aptasia I can scrounge up for him.

Any body try feeding Glassworms? I bought a pack but when I got home I noticed it didn't say for fresh and salt like the other stuff I bought. Only "freshwater". I'm kind of afraid to add it to my mix untill I know it is ok.

I put a cube in the tank and the copperband ate them, yet he will not touch Brine at all