PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with personal knowledge on Oblique Lined Dottyback's?

Seafan
08-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi, I have an oblique lined Dottyback, aka mcccullochi dottyback or basslet scientific name cypho purpurascens. I've had this fish for 2-3 months now, Got it home and put it in my quarantine tank where it has been ever since. The problem is after reading so much on the internet about how horribly aggressive this fish is, I've been too scared to put him into my reef tank. I was under the impression that he'd be no different than other dottyback's, but his reputation says differently.
Was really hoping someone would have first hand experience with this fish, to know what the experience was, and how it went.
My biggest fear is that he will kill my firefish, clown goby and zebra dartfish, and catching him out of the display would be impossible. I have read that my tangs would somewhat keep his attitude in check. In my quarantine he is with my eibli angelfish (eibli eats zoas) has never once shown aggression, only comes out of the rock for food. But I also understand that this is normal behavior for them, very timid unless exposed to certain fish such as the firefish.
I'm feeling very guilty in keeping him out of the reef, need input.

Thank you.