PDA

View Full Version : Achilles

Haloreef
08-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Huge thanks to Paul at Oceanic Corals for finding me the nicest and largest Achilles Tang I have ever seen! He is happily swimming around and ate both flake and pellet foods on the first night! He seemed a little unsure of the nori clip but did start to pick at it before lights out!
He is at least 7" long and not a mark on him.
Once again thanks Paul!
Keith.

gobytron
08-27-2010, 08:56 PM
no pics?

he could be the largest and nicest we have ALL seen...lol

Leah
08-27-2010, 11:34 PM
no pics?

he could be the largest and nicest we have ALL seen...lol

Nice! :biggrin: :mrgreen:

naesco
08-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Achilles are one of the most difficult tangs to keep.
You can improve your chances by considering whether you want to start a feeding regimen which includes garlic extract/selcon soaked nori.
Tangs are ich magnets and the achilles is no exception.

The achilles needs high oxygenated water. Place a large powerhead near the surface of the water. You will see that it enjoys swimming in the flow.

Best of luck.

Haloreef
08-28-2010, 05:09 PM
So far he has been very difficult to get a good picture of. I keep cutting off his head or tail or just get a black orange and white blur! I will try again later on today.
Thanks for the advice but, I have done my research.
He will join the rest of the "Tang Gang" in a week or so!
Keith.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Good luck with the Achilles. A few of the members have been successful with this difficult tang, so hopefully you will join their ranks.

Marie's (in Powell River) Doofus is the biggest, fattest, sassiest Achilles I know but it lives in a 175g bowfront as the only tang.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-28-2010, 06:40 PM
DON'T have any other ick magnet tangs with the Achilles (ie. Powder blues for instance). They'll just keep giving the ick back & forth.

Big Tang
08-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Congrats on your new Achilles.I had ken at Blue World Aquatics bring me in a 10" one. He's in qt for two more weeks.So far so good he eats like a champ and they do like there flow he's always playing and swimming in it but no ick to be seen .Good luck with your new fish.