PDA

View Full Version : Rid of agae on montipora?

ALang
08-27-2010, 04:17 PM
I have a piece of montipora that been through a lot in a beginner's tank. He gave it to me. The coral is 7+ inches across, beautifully pink, and now is showing growth around the edges under my MH after a few months.
Problem is, it also has little tuffs of algae growing in between the swirls. I tried to pick them out, and they continue to grow back. I am thinking that this will eventually kill the coral. I have yellow tang and other algae-eating fishes and snails (no hermits) in the tank, but they don't seem to bother the algae much.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might get rid of said algae? Maybe a dip? Lenny.

Vitaminz
08-27-2010, 06:49 PM
I had an issue not long ago with the green hair algae, and I tried almost everything, brushing them off, using fish, snails. They all seem to keep it from growing out of hand, but nothing to get rid of the problem. Then I got some medium size hermit crabs, mix of blue and red legged ones...And wouldn't you know it, I haven't seen the little tuff of turf in a while. I put 5 of them in my 30g nano, and took care of the issue.

Jeff

reefwars
08-28-2010, 12:20 AM
i use mexican turbo snails , i have a plate coral same story was growing algae in between everything the coral was just about dead when i got it now its after growing aroung the edges and ive regained maybe 50% i take a mexican turbo snail and target it to thge coral if it leaves i pick it up and drop him there again theres no choice on my shift, it takes time , for me the rea islsue was other things mainly nitrates!!! :( but in the mean time thats what i do, figure out why your algae is growing the rest will fall in place:)

ALang
08-28-2010, 04:21 AM
But aren't Mexican turbo snails pretty large? Mine are the size of ping pong balls! Maybe I can find some smaller ones??:question: But I'll try doing that. They'll probably hate me, though. I have a couple of little yellow-tail damsels who moved in and now are living in between the whirls and they jealously guard it, even nipping at my hand when I tried grabbing at the algae. So they'll try to nip at the sanils, too, I bet!
Nitrate...I hate to even go there!!:sad: I bet the fish poop from these damsels helped to feed the algae.
And the hermits, I'll probably have to resort to that soon.
Thanks. Lenny.

reefwars
08-28-2010, 04:41 AM
if their like mine their bigger then golfballs lol when targeting them you need to make sure the coral can handle their roughhousing,weight,friction and whatnot for me my coral was a goner so i had nothing to lose ,you can get small turbo snails im just not sure you will see the same results, mine just had babies so im not sure yet on how they will do for my tank i got probably about 50+ in a 33g and they are gettin big fast ill be giving them away soon and putting them in other tanks:):) i have the same problem mostly on smaller zoa frags with just the odd strand coming out i pull it when i see it and i know for a fact it will take over as i have lost zoas before like that:)

ALang
08-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I'll take them off your hands if you bring them to the frag meet. I'll be there bright and early. Helping Ken set up. Lenny.