PDA

View Full Version : need advice on clowns...

meenamjah
08-27-2010, 02:04 AM
I recently got a black/white baby ocellaris... I already had a paired regular ocellaris, and they haven't stopped harassing the b/w clown for about a month now. I had a true perc which died within days of being harassed, but this guy's quite tough and holding up well.. but mostly stuck in his corner, and I feel bad for it.

I have a 54 gallon corner tank... not sure if they will ever get along... should I sell the baby clown or wait and hope they get along?

ReefOcean
08-27-2010, 02:08 AM
that is strange.

you could try to re-arrange the rock work so the fish must establish new territory.

BlueTang<3
08-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Had a mated pair of ocellaris in my 180 tried to add another ocellaris clown killed in seconds.

ReefOcean
08-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Natural Born Killer complex in mated clownfish?

meenamjah
08-27-2010, 02:52 AM
damn.. so it was a bad idea to add a 3rd clown, eh?

I added a nem a couple days ago in hopes of some or any change, but nothing so far...

I guess it's looking like I should sell him... sigh...

ponokareefer
08-27-2010, 04:07 AM
If your existing pair of clownfish were a breeding pair, they will likely try to kill the new one. Clownfish in the wild are quite aggressive towards each other, but due to the size of the ocean, if the breeding pair get over aggressive towards another clownfish, that clownfish can get away. In a 54 gallon tank, they don't have anywhere to go. Long term, it is typically very difficult to keep more than a pair of clownfish together. There are a few cases, but very few that last for years. I'd get your new baby a new home and stop the stress that is going on in your tank, as every fish in there will be stressed out from the fighting and will be more prone to getting sick(disease).

meenamjah
08-27-2010, 04:37 AM
well, they're not a breeding pair... but it does look like they've paired up. they're together 24/7. they harass the baby clown several times a day, but don't actually touch him. they just charge at him and chase him. still, poor guy's cowering in the corner most of the time. I was hoping the pair's aggression would subside, but I guess that's not likely to happen.

KeMo
08-27-2010, 02:14 PM
If your existing pair of clownfish were a breeding pair, they will likely try to kill the new one. Clownfish in the wild are quite aggressive towards each other, but due to the size of the ocean, if the breeding pair get over aggressive towards another clownfish, that clownfish can get away. In a 54 gallon tank, they don't have anywhere to go. Long term, it is typically very difficult to keep more than a pair of clownfish together. There are a few cases, but very few that last for years. I'd get your new baby a new home and stop the stress that is going on in your tank, as every fish in there will be stressed out from the fighting and will be more prone to getting sick(disease).

+1

gobytron
08-27-2010, 02:15 PM
basically, it's up the the dominant female when it comes to clowns...

If she rejects the smaller male, thats it, party over.

If you were goingto try to keep it, a major rescape might be your best bet.

reefwars
08-28-2010, 12:29 AM
he hides in the corner because of territory im in the same boat ,sort of, its been a few weeks but mines still alive.my female killed her mate after a couple years together and im trying to bring in another male now mine is quite older and bigger but the male is allowed to travel a little further every week or so and from what ive learned shell either kill him or take him.three is a bad number for clowns 9 times out of ten two pair up and pick on the little one iuntill its dead. re aquascape and remember out of sight out of mind if hes gotr hiding places it will be easier for him to take the harrassment:)

meenamjah
08-28-2010, 03:09 AM
my clowns go to the same cave in the same rock every time I rescape... perhaps I should bury the hole or something...

are they just as aggressive even if they're hosting in a nem?

would having 4 be better or worse than having 3?

reefwars
08-28-2010, 03:25 AM
Adding a nem could make it worse or could give the small clown somewhere to hide if it's big enough, hard to say. Adding more clowns may divert attention away from the little one but clowns are bottom line bullies if they have a target their on it and being small isn't a good advantage. If you have a hospital tank remove the dominant female and male completely re aquascape leaving the new clowns and add the others once they've claimed their territory. Personally I would stick with two their quite nice as a pair:) there's alot of fish in the sea ;)

ottoman
08-28-2010, 03:58 AM
IMO, adding the 4th will not help, the best will be taking out the newly added b/w, if you really really really want more clown, try add a already mated pair. However, 54G is too small for 2 pairs of clown. Do you have some other fish? Cheers.

meenamjah
08-28-2010, 06:03 AM
IMO, adding the 4th will not help, the best will be taking out the newly added b/w, if you really really really want more clown, try add a already mated pair. However, 54G is too small for 2 pairs of clown. Do you have some other fish? Cheers.

I rescaped.. hopefully they'll make peace, and if not, I guess I'll be selling the baby clown.

I also got a diamond goby, neon goby and a regal tang