PDA

View Full Version : Oceansdirect.ca

2pts
08-26-2010, 03:29 AM
About to place a livestock order to be shipped to my home in Vernon from Oceansdirect.ca. I have already hit the free shipping amount so let me know if you wanna add to my order before it is placed.

Thanks, Shawn.

mseepman
08-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Welcome to Canreef...good to see another Vernonite on here. I've never heard of this Oceansdirect before but will check out their site.

Where in Vernon are you? Tell us about your tank?

2pts
08-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Good to hear of ya.

I'm up on Middleton Mtn, Mt Ida Drive.

I have a 500litre reef tank ( I think that is 130g maybe 140g? ) with about 220lbs of live rock.

I'm new to aquariums but have had my tank going since Mid December.

I'll post more at a later date, gotta go to bed now. I work at the brewery and start really early tomorrow :)

Later, Shawn.

Starry
08-26-2010, 04:17 PM
when did you plan on placing the order? i wouldnt mind a few zoa frags. welcome to canreef!

mseepman
08-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow...so where did you get your tank? What do you have in it now? Can you tell us some about your equipment...like skimmer, sump, flow...

I live down near the Walmart...but have had my tank running for about 4 years.

BlueWorldAquatic
08-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Kind of interesting, how a new user lists a company to do a group order with that not many people have heard of.

Ken - BWA

reefwars
08-27-2010, 02:43 AM
hummm

viperfish
08-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Some really good prices (except the TEK fixtures). I don't know of anyone that ships livestock for free. Interesting.

Nebthet
08-27-2010, 02:57 AM
Ocean's Direct is associated with the store in Toronto called North American Fish Breeders.
Those of us from Ontario would be more familiar with it than most of you guys out in the west.

I can at least vouch that there coral frags are good. I got my acans from them and they are beautiful and growing very well in my system.
Shipping to my place was great. But I live in Ontario, so I cannot vouch for how there shipping to your area may be.

I will let you know though, that if they run out of stock for an item that you order, they may not tell you until after they ship it, that they have substituted it with something else that is similar to other things you ordered. For example on my last order, two zoas frags were not available but they substituted them with a nice acan frag instead which equaled to more than the cost of the zoas and in the same color range the zoas were. So I was happy.

Their communication is also fairly decent via email though the turn around may be a day.

Chaloupa
08-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Kind of interesting, how a new user lists a company to do a group order with that not many people have heard of.

Ken - BWA

I completely agree...seemed a bit strange.

mseepman
08-27-2010, 03:23 AM
I suspect that it was the $10 frags that got his attention. Since most of us have experienced another vendor with that price, but without the service I'm pretty thankful for finding out about them.

2pts
08-27-2010, 03:32 AM
when did you plan on placing the order? i wouldnt mind a few zoa frags. welcome to canreef!

I'm thinking Sat morning to place the order.

2pts
08-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Wow...so where did you get your tank? What do you have in it now? Can you tell us some about your equipment...like skimmer, sump, flow...

I live down near the Walmart...but have had my tank running for about 4 years.

Got my tank from complete pet mart in town here, manager is a friend of ours, too bad they are closing. Scott helped me set it up and I traded him about 40 dozen beer for equiptment :)

I have about 220 lbs of live rock (including in sump) bought from AJ's, Complete pet mart, and Island Pets.

I run two MH 150w bulbs with two double T5's as well as a small light over the sump.

I was given a small protein skimmer (beer trade) that hung on my sump but a month later it developed a leak so I removed it. Ran with no skimmer for 7ish months, last week I bought at CPM a Lee's 17110 large PS, the thing may be ugly in my display but it was only $20, because as I try to nurse my sun coral back from starvation I am overfeeding my tank.

I run an Aquaclear 110 hanging off my sump.

I have some pump (lol) in my sump that was given to me (beer trade) that seems to do the job. The sump is either 15 or 20 gallons.

I have Zoanthids, a long tenacle anemone ( I think ), some torchs, two frogspawns, two toadstools and a starved sun coral.

Copperband butterfly, yellow tang, six green chromis, a sixline wrasse, two yellow headed jawfish, 2 false perculas, a pink skunk clow, an orange spotted sand sifting goby and 4 small yellow clown gobies,.

I'm ordering a blue hippo tang and some zoa frags.

2pts
08-27-2010, 04:00 AM

Ken - BWA

As is a guy from Edmonton commenting on a thread about ordering to my house in Vernon BC.

2pts
08-27-2010, 04:01 AM
Some really good prices (except the TEK fixtures). I don't know of anyone that ships livestock for free. Interesting.

J and L does too.

gobytron
08-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Ken - BWA

Can you elaborate on that please?

I don't find it strange at all and this worries me a little...

maybe I'M strange..?

mseepman
08-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Got my tank from complete pet mart in town here, manager is a friend of ours, too bad they are closing. Scott helped me set it up and I traded him about 40 dozen beer for equiptment :)

I have about 220 lbs of live rock (including in sump) bought from AJ's, Complete pet mart, and Island Pets.

I run two MH 150w bulbs with two double T5's as well as a small light over the sump.

I was given a small protein skimmer (beer trade) that hung on my sump but a month later it developed a leak so I removed it. Ran with no skimmer for 7ish months, last week I bought at CPM a Lee's 17110 large PS, the thing may be ugly in my display but it was only $20, because as I try to nurse my sun coral back from starvation I am overfeeding my tank.

I run an Aquaclear 110 hanging off my sump.

I have some pump (lol) in my sump that was given to me (beer trade) that seems to do the job. The sump is either 15 or 20 gallons.

I have Zoanthids, a long tenacle anemone ( I think ), some torchs, two frogspawns, two toadstools and a starved sun coral.

Copperband butterfly, yellow tang, six green chromis, a sixline wrasse, two yellow headed jawfish, 2 false perculas, a pink skunk clow, an orange spotted sand sifting goby and 4 small yellow clown gobies,.

I'm ordering a blue hippo tang and some zoa frags.

I know what you mean by depressing that Complete Pet is closing. I haven't spoken to Scott since he got the new job but this reminds me that I need to make the effort because I haven't even seen his new tank yet.

I won't be able to take part in the livestock purchase as I'm on a buying hold until the new tank is up. Too risky to buy stuff only to see it die in a move.

We'll have to connect some time so I can see your tank.

Doug
08-27-2010, 07:34 PM
As is a guy from Edmonton commenting on a thread about ordering to my house in Vernon BC.

I cant speak for him but I assume as he is a paying sponsor for the board, he may be curious, like most others.

And just as a point of interest, on many other boards, one cant mention group orders or the such from non sponsors.

and

Welcome to
Canreef
:mrgreen:

Doug
08-27-2010, 08:06 PM
We have decided to close this thread for now. Like I mentioned, we have to respect the sponsors of this board.

Sorry and hopefully, thanks for your understanding. We have a great board here, with lots of very good sponsors, that are very competitive priced and carry most all of our needs. Of course ones free to purchase where they wish but we ask that they understand our obligation to our sponsors.
Thanks