PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Seahorses

DChan
08-26-2010, 03:07 AM
Hey guys im new to this forum but im looking for seahorses. I live in vancouver bc and am willing to pay through paypal and will pay for shipping etc. please let me know what kind of seahorses you have and how much you would like for them + shipping thanks a lot.

rayjay
08-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Check with Blue World Aquatics in Edmonton.

Ripwoop
08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
JL is a little closer to ya i would have a look there.

DChan
08-27-2010, 12:45 AM
JL is a little closer to ya i would have a look there.

sorry but where or what is JL? and do these places ship or do i have to actually go there thanks

Milad
08-27-2010, 01:07 AM
if you are that lazy to go to JL then I would not buy a seahorse. They take alot of care.

DChan
08-27-2010, 01:08 AM
if you are that lazy to go to JL then I would not buy a seahorse. They take alot of care.

Im not lazy i know these things take a lot of care. But i don't even know where JL is. I live in vancouver BC, and i do not think there is a JL here thanks

ReefOcean
08-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Theya re talking about J&L aquatics. If you plan on keeping marine animals I suggest you become familiar with the store. It is in Burnaby.

Also, I wouldn't suggest having seahorses shipped if you can avoid it.

You should always inspect seahorses before you buy them because if they aren't healthy, they are as good as dead.

DChan
08-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Theya re talking about J&L aquatics. If you plan on keeping marine animals I suggest you become familiar with the store. It is in Burnaby.

Also, I wouldn't suggest having seahorses shipped if you can avoid it.

You should always inspect seahorses before you buy them because if they aren't healthy, they are as good as dead.

AHhh thanks got it. yeah i read a lot about them through the internet and most place do not have alive gaurantee on delivery. I called them but they do not have any instock cause not many people look for sea horses and they order them when they have a certain amount of interests. thanks guys any where else? I know shipping sea horses isn't the best thing but if its the only thing i can do to get one that i will have to do it. Sea horses do take a lot to maintain but im willing to do it. Thanks guys

ReefOcean
08-27-2010, 02:18 AM
AHhh thanks got it. yeah i read a lot about them through the internet and most place do not have alive gaurantee on delivery. I called them but they do not have any instock cause not many people look for sea horses and they order them when they have a certain amount of interests. thanks guys any where else? I know shipping sea horses isn't the best thing but if its the only thing i can do to get one that i will have to do it. Sea horses do take a lot to maintain but im willing to do it. Thanks guys

I wouldn't go by the live guarantee. The seahorse will arrive alive, but the things is, for how long. If they stop eating or are sick it could take a week or more for them to die thus negating any 48 hour- a week (or whatever the store offers) alive guarantee. JL will order them if you want. Most fish stores will order whatever you want as long as you put money down. For the sake of your wallet and for the sake of the seahorse I would again strongly advise against having them shipped.

You could also try ocean aquatics (in abbotsford).
I think there might be a few breeder on this forum as well that might see this thread and respond.

Best of luck.

DChan
08-27-2010, 02:23 AM
I wouldn't go by the live guarantee. The seahorse will arrive alive, but the things is, for how long. If they stop eating or are sick it could take a week or more for them to die thus negating any 48 hour- a week (or whatever the store offers) alive guarantee. JL will order them if you want. Most fish stores will order whatever you want as long as you put money down. For the sake of your wallet and for the sake of the seahorse I would again strongly advise against having them shipped.

You could also try ocean aquatics (in abbotsford).
I think there might be a few breeder on this forum as well that might see this thread and respond.

Best of luck.

Yeah i think im just going to buy them locally as I want them to live for as long as possible. I will take care of them with my gf and look after them. Ill try oceans aquatics tmr since they are closed now. Thanks a lot man you have been a lot of help. And yah i hope the breeders on this forum take a look at this thread. Thanks

snow1
08-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Didn't ocean aquatics go out a while back? I thought they were not around anymore. I know there was a store to before them, hidden reef that also went bankrupt.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Didn't ocean aquatics go out a while back? I thought they were not around anymore. I know there was a store to before them, hidden reef that also went bankrupt.

You guys are talking about Aquatic Addictions in Abby.

Ocean Aquatics is in Delta.

rayjay
08-27-2010, 03:24 PM
The problem with buying locally is that most local product is "tank raised" or "net pen raised" and as such have a much lower success rate than if you buy true captive bred seahorses.
There is a lot of misinformation about seahorse keeping but I have links to a lot of excellent information listed at the bottom of "MY THOUGHTS ON SEAHORSE KEEPING" (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html) page.

True captive bred are hard to find in Canada.
Seahorse Sanctuary has now stopped selling seahorses so that wiped out a lot of species right there that were coming into Canada.
However, Blue World Aquatics has been bringing in true captive bred reidis from Aquamarine International, and is waiting on paperwork to bring in true captive bred erectus and dwarfs from Seahorse Corral.

BlueWorldAquatic
08-27-2010, 03:29 PM
And still awaiting Cites for them, should be any day now. Gotta love slow moving govenment departments.

Should be any day now.

Our next order of Reidi's will be in about a week.

Ken - BWA

DChan
08-27-2010, 10:16 PM
The problem with buying locally is that most local product is "tank raised" or "net pen raised" and as such have a much lower success rate than if you buy true captive bred seahorses.
There is a lot of misinformation about seahorse keeping but I have links to a lot of excellent information listed at the bottom of "MY THOUGHTS ON SEAHORSE KEEPING" (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html) page.

True captive bred are hard to find in Canada.
Seahorse Sanctuary has now stopped selling seahorses so that wiped out a lot of species right there that were coming into Canada.
However, Blue World Aquatics has been bringing in true captive bred reidis from Aquamarine International, and is waiting on paperwork to bring in true captive bred erectus and dwarfs from Seahorse Corral.

Thanks man i'll give a read on that and i'll give them a call. I've tried calling all these places none of them seem to carrry them at the moment. Thanks guys

DChan
08-27-2010, 10:17 PM
And still awaiting Cites for them, should be any day now. Gotta love slow moving govenment departments.

Should be any day now.

Ken - BWA

Do u think you guys can take a few pictures of the seahorses? And if this is the only way I can get a seahorse then i migiht have to get it shipped ALTHOUGH i'd rather get them locally. You can gimme a PM or something and i'll give u my contact info bud Thanks guys

ReefOcean
08-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Should be any day now.

Ken - BWA

a little off topic but:
I've noticed your site been under construction for a while. Do you guys have a online storefront?

DChan
08-29-2010, 07:12 PM
anyone out there with sea horses?

Madreefer
08-29-2010, 10:09 PM
anyone out there with sea horses?

Sorry dude but not trying to put a downer on your plans. I had seahorses for a couple of years. They are really boring to watch, too much care is needed and there is too many things that they ARE NOT compatible with. Actually a real pain in the ass. Just speaking from my experience with them. If you do get some good luck though.

EMH
08-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Sorry dude but not trying to put a downer on your plans. I had seahorses for a couple of years. They are really boring to watch, too much care is needed and there is too many things that they ARE NOT compatible with. Actually a real pain in the ass. Just speaking from my experience with them. If you do get some good luck though.

x2 still have em though