PDA

View Full Version : plastic holding tank ?

mytank90
08-24-2010, 03:30 PM
i am going to help someone out this weekend with her tank and want to know if i could go buy a large plastic tote from canadian tire to hold fish in for a few days? her tank just starting to leak so want to put fish into a large plastic bucket for a few days till its resealed.we where going put heater and a small pump in tote to keep stuff alive but not sure if i sould use a air stone to?thanks

Myka
08-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Lots of people use Rubbermaid totes. Some people use Brute garbage cans too (which I don't like to use at all). Just be careful the heater doesn't rest on the plastic or it may melt through! I would use an airstone to help keep pH up, and point a powerhead towards the surface to help increase oxygen/co2 exchange as well.

gobytron
08-24-2010, 04:31 PM
and make sure it's rated as food safe.

I was planning on cooking rocks in a large, generic container some years ago and after leaving the sw in the container for about 4 days I was about to put the LR in there when I noticed an odd chemical smell eminating from it.

Sure enough, on closer inspection the water had taken on a nasty yellow color and smelled alot like silicone....

Since then, I have only used foodsafe containers...

mark
08-24-2010, 08:39 PM
would imagine you can get a food safe barrel for about the price of a plastic tub at Cdn Tire (these here (http://www.gwcontainers.com/Default.aspx?tabid=82)were $35 for a 45g)

as for melting plastic, look up on youtube boiling water in a paper cup

MMAX
08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
I'd suggest not using a tote, go for the Rubbermaid Brute instead. When you fill the tote with water the sides will deform and may blow out. I've used Brute garbage cans as rain barrels and have had zero issues with them.