PDA

View Full Version : looking to join Calgary club..

Jim Barry
11-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I have just set up my 120 gallon tank again after 8 years. I was hoping to meet some other people who get together on a regular basis. I read something about meetings. Let me know when the next meeting is..... I look forward to meeting some other "reefers".

Jim

Bob I
11-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Calgary club, and let me say that I am looking forward to meeting you at our next meeting (whenever that is) :biggrin:

Jim Barry
11-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Thanks Bob,

How often do you meet and how many members belong?. I have a million questions as I am relatively inexperienced in reef tanks. Look forward to meeting you all...............

Jim

Buccaneer
11-24-2003, 05:07 PM
Hi Jim ... Welcome aboard ... there are no formal dates for meetings but every now and then a member will volunteer to host ... I was planning to host one in January sometime after the holidays ... just remember that the new guy brings beer :drinking:

Cheers

TANGOMAN
11-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Calgary club. Oh that's already been stated ? O.K. Let me be the first nice person to welcome you...(Are you catching the sarcasm on this one Bob ?)
There aren't as many members as you have questions but ever since I came around, it seems to be getting much larger... :confused: . I would have anticipated the opposite to happen. I have come to the conclusion that my presence just makes people feel better about themselves and helps them confirm they are much smarter than they originally thought.

You have found a great place with great people !

Jim Barry
11-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Hey Steve,

It's a given that the new guy brings the beer !!! Just let me know if I need to rent a truck to bring the beer !! :lol:

Bob I
11-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you to the Calgary club. Oh that's already been stated ? O.K. Let me be the first nice person to welcome you...(Are you catching the sarcasm on this one Bob ?)

Yes, I would call that "sledgehammer sarcasm". Ok, I just made that up. :eek:

Jim Barry
11-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Doug...

Too funny.... I will make sure I stand by you at the meeting.

Jim :lol:

Buccaneer
11-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Hey Steve,

It's a given that the new guy brings the beer !!! Just let me know if I need to rent a truck to bring the beer !! :lol:

Dont know about a truck but how big is the car trunk ? :razz: ... will start a post in December maybe to see which day will work best for everyone.

Cheers

Delphinus
11-24-2003, 05:32 PM
Welcome to Canreef Jim, and welcome to the Calgary bunch. :cool:

Hope we can meet up soon...

AJ_77
11-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Welcome, hi, good to see you, etc... :biggrin: I have also felt better about myself and this hobby since following Doug's misadventures. :wink:

How's the seal on that tank?

Jim Barry
11-24-2003, 06:07 PM

Thanks Alan,

You just made my heart stop with the comment obout the seal. I never thought about the fact that the age of the tank may effect it's ability to hold water. It is an acrylic tank with rounded corners on the front. One of the back corners looks like it is showing some wear on the seam. Now I won't be able to sleep at night :frown:

Any suggestions on how to reinforce the acrylic seam on the outside (just to be safe)

Jim

Jim Barry
11-24-2003, 06:07 PM

Thanks Alan,

You just made my heart stop with the comment obout the seal. I never thought about the fact that the age of the tank may effect it's ability to hold water. It is an acrylic tank with rounded corners on the front. One of the back corners looks like it is showing some wear on the seam. Now I won't be able to sleep at night :frown:

Any suggestions on how to reinforce the acrylic seam on the outside (just to be safe)

Jim

Canadian Man
11-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Welcome Jim!
It makes me very happy so see so many new Calgary persons on here in the past few months!

I think back two years to our first meeting of like 4 of us and now the meetings need a large house. It's AWSOME!

:cool:

TANGOMAN
11-24-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure if I got the name right but I think it's called Methylene Chloride... :confused: . I'd have to ask Alan to check his liquor cabinet to see if I got the name right.
I use the stuff to repair skimmers etc...
ps. Given time, you'll find the sledgehammer technique is the only effective way of dealing with some individuals... :lol:

Buccaneer
11-24-2003, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure if I got the name right but I think it's called Methylene Chloride... :confused: . I'd have to ask Alan to check his liquor cabinet to see if I got the name right.
I use the stuff to repair skimmers etc...
ps. Given time, you'll find the sledgehammer technique is the only effective way of dealing with some individuals... :lol:

:mrgreen:

rossb
11-25-2003, 12:10 AM
tangoman wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that my presence just makes people feel better about themselves and helps them confirm they are much smarter than they originally thought.

Fortunately we have Bob to kinda even that out :lol: :lol:
(just kidding bob).

Welcome Jim...this is a friendly group. If your looking for a long list of things not to do...I'm your man.

TANGOMAN
11-25-2003, 12:55 AM
Well Bob, if I hit ya' with sledgehammer, I'd say Ross just slaughtered ya' with an axe...!
So what is in your liquour cabinet Alan ? :confused: .
Are you still waiting for guidance and opinions on the acrylic Jim ? You'll find that occasionally I get mis-directed and it takes a few pages to get a straight answer.

Jim Barry
11-25-2003, 01:42 AM
Thanks Doug,

I will check at Rona for Methylyn Chloride......I may have to go to a plastics shop, what do you think?

PS..... I hear that stuff goes well with tomato juice :lol:

Canadian Man
11-25-2003, 02:04 AM
Rona wont have it. Visit Industiral paint and plastics if your in the southern area of town. It's buy Chinook center.