PDA

View Full Version : coral info pls:):)

reefwars
08-24-2010, 02:30 AM
hey all so my question is simple white kenya tree...dyed or actual coral colour i cant seem to find any info on dying kenyas or if its not dyed i cant find any info on it period .there was a article long ago but i cant find it for the life of me. ill add a pic of mine .ive had it for months now and its growing crazy like any other kenyas ,i bought it as a white kenya and its grown considerably but has always been very white:) , doesnt frag to well but i did get one to take and i believe a second one is good now too:):)

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/new%20iphone4%20pics/043-1.jpg?t=1282616700

thanks guys:):):)

christyf5
08-24-2010, 04:38 AM
I have a white one too so I'd wager thats its original color. Mine has been in my tank for about 2 years now, always been the same color :biggrin:

Murminator
08-24-2010, 04:58 AM
I have had white, brown, and brown/green tint ones before think it's just the color morph

whatcaneyedo
08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
The dyed coral that I've seen are an unnatural green, yellow or pink which wear off after a few weeks. I don't think its possible to dye a coral white. Borneman does list 'cream' as being one of the color shades that Kenya Tree are sometimes available as in his Aquarium Corals book. However my regular ones can look pink, brown or orange depending on the lighting they're under and even white when stressed. As to why they don't frag well in your tank... perhaps some more information on your system would help to answer that question.

reefwars
08-24-2010, 02:08 PM
i think the pieces i cut were to small to heal i had two large pieces like the one in the pic and i cut the second one into a couple large ones and lots of small ones my large ones are taking and looks like theyve attached the small ones dont seem to attach or melt away:) my display has its faults though after downgrading to a 11og acrylic im dealing with a very bad diatom problem very bad lol:):) plus my nitrates are around 20 theyve seem to went up a bit since ive gotten rid of the bio balls last week, im doing a large water change tonight and have someone coming over next week to help me re-do my sump so i can add filter socks and get my refugium a bit more organized and im increasing my overflow holes for more turnover and installing an ro/di unit:)

the fun never ends:):):)

bvlester
08-24-2010, 05:14 PM
I have a piece that has a green hue to it and one that does not they are both from the same coral I frag a piece and that one is just white. They both stated as white I think it is the MH's.

Bill