PDA

View Full Version : Another tang stocking thread

Albertan22
08-24-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm pondering between a Kole Tang, a Purple Tang, a Powder Brown Tang or a Powder Blue Tang for my 120g LPS/SPS reef. I had always initially planned on putting a Kole Tang in the tank because it's only a 4' tank, but lately I've been second thoughts. I think I'm ready to add a tang and need to make a decision. Anybody have any advice on choosing between these 4 fish?

My current stocking list includes: (1) foxface, (2) ocellaris clowns, (4) blue green chromis, (1) yellow watchman goby, (1) midas blenny, (1) purple firefish and (1) mandarin dragonet.

Delphinus
08-24-2010, 02:41 AM
Why second thoughts on the Kole? Do you mean in favour of one of the others?

Here's my take on those 4 species. Bear in mind I don't have any of these 4.

- The Kole would make a nice addition to your tank. As it is different than the other 3, you might get away with one of the others as well.
- Purple tangs almost always start off with ich but if you can get one past the first bit, they do better. However, they are a boss fish and will quickly fight their way to establish ranking. I.e., they can get a little mean.
- Powder brown and powder blues are both very striking fish. Both have reputations for being on the delicate side, but are also among the smaller Acanthurus species. Overall, they might not be my first choice for a "first tang".

xtreme
08-24-2010, 02:56 AM
I would say the kole tang would be your "best bet". I've never had a powder brown so I can't really comment there. As mentioned the purple would do ok but would become the boss of any other fish of similar shape or size. I would advise against the powder blue and they are tougher to keep and would also require a tank bigger than 4' long term, mine never stops swimming as is the case with most tangs.

Albertan22
08-24-2010, 02:58 AM
I've heard that purple tangs can get a bit agressive, which is why I'm a bit nervous about adding one to my tank. I'm not really sure why I'm having second thoughts on the Kole Tang, I guess maybe I'm not that keen on the colouring of the juveniles I see in the stores.

BlueTang<3
08-24-2010, 03:10 AM
Come over and see the tank i have 7 different tangs you can get a feel for there full size and look.

JonT
08-24-2010, 03:12 AM
I've heard that purple tangs can get a bit agressive, which is why I'm a bit nervous about adding one to my tank. I'm not really sure why I'm having second thoughts on the Kole Tang, I guess maybe I'm not that keen on the colouring of the juveniles I see in the stores.

I promise that you will not have algae issues with a Kole tang in the tank! If you do, well, you got bigger problems!!!

I personally have a White cheek power brown, and I love him! The colors are great, and get holds his own with the Niger trigger :) Those are the only big fish in my 120 (6').

I think before you decide on 2 tangs, you should look at what other fish you may want to stock, then decide if you have room for them both, and the others!

Lance
08-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Can't go wrong with a Kole Tang.

Slick Fork
08-24-2010, 05:01 AM
On a 4 foot tank my vote is definitely for the Kole. I had a purple in a 4 footer and it was a pretty mean fish. You definitely won't have enough swimming length for a powder blue/brown

naesco
08-24-2010, 03:48 PM
On a 4 foot tank my vote is definitely for the Kole. I had a purple in a 4 footer and it was a pretty mean fish. You definitely won't have enough swimming length for a powder blue/brown

+1 Your first decision was the right decision, Albertan and looks like everyone here agrees with you.

ReefOcean
08-26-2010, 02:05 AM
Koles would be the hardiest and they are pretty docile. I noticed that most of the fish in your tank are pretty much bullet proof, excluding the mandarins picky eating habbits. If I were you, I would embrace the fact that I have a pretty easy to manage set up and go with a fish of equal hardines to the rest of the inhabbitants. Kole, yellow or even a convict would be my suggestion. I would stay away from any tangs with any blue on them IMO, they are weak to the ich and often bring it with them and foxfaces too can catch ich easily.

gobytron
08-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I say go for the blue or the brown tang..

they'll be happier in your tank than at the LFS.

Purples are mean though, wouldnt get one again.

Albertan22
08-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the advice all, I'll probably stick with my original plan and pick up the Kole.