PDA

View Full Version : Feeding my Fish

wookie
08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm looking for some advice on how much to feed our fish.

3 Puffers. One figure 8 and two GSP's.
5 Mono's.

That's 8 fish, all pretty new, puffers are probably 3 months old and look about 2 inches long. The mono's aren't that big, probably about 3 inches bottom to top and two inches length wise.

Housed in a 55 gallon tank, have 2 lbs of live rock, gravel substrate, one air pump and an Eheim Professional Canister.

My girlfriend feeds them what I think is too much, but I could be wrong. We have cubes of Krill, Bloodworms, as well as frozen krill (in full body form) and some Seaweed sheets for the monos.

Usually drop in two cubes in the AM and two cubes in the PM, sometimes swapping a frozen full bodied krill in place of a cube for the puffers to chomp on.

Thanks

The Grizz
08-23-2010, 08:40 PM
One rule of thumb is to only feed what they can eat before it hits the bottom of the tank. Just make sure there is not a lot of food laying around the bottom of the tank.

xblade
08-27-2010, 04:28 AM
One rule of thumb is to only feed what they can eat before it hits the bottom of the tank. Just make sure there is not a lot of food laying around the bottom of the tank.

+1 on that....You should put the cubes in a dish of water and let them melt...Then just pour in a bit at a time ,till its gone or they aren't interested.

wookie
09-02-2010, 05:59 PM

Thanks, will work on seeing how much lands on the bottom or sits there for long.

+1 on that....You should put the cubes in a dish of water and let them melt...Then just pour in a bit at a time ,till its gone or they aren't interested.

Yeah, the cubes get melted with tank water before being dumped in.

Llamarama
09-02-2010, 06:09 PM
it's good to mention that puffers are very very messy eaters also, if the chunks are too big I find they let a lot got to the bottom and get it later. I know my gsps are well fed by the shape of their bellies so they get fed once in the morning and they can eat whatever they may miss later on in the day...but thats just what works for me....if they look full I don't feed them because they are usually uninterested anyway