PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer

Seth72
08-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Hello im new at this,i am just in the first stage of setting up a 120 gallon tank. the tank is being built right now,so im turning my attention to skimmers.This is just my first question of what will be many im sure.

The whole setup will be 160 gallons with sump so i am wondering what the best in sump skimmer would be for a reasonable price..i am looking for very clear water just like everyone i guess,

I was also wondering if I buy a skimmer rated for a larger tank such as a 250 gallon would that work much better or is that not how it works...i would really rather get a good skimmer now and pay the price rather then have to get another one later because i didnt know what i was doing the first time ,which is why i am asking.

Thanks again guys for the help.

bvlester
08-23-2010, 12:27 AM
there are alot of very good skimmers I would ask on here if anyone has one for sale.

Bill

Seth72
08-23-2010, 12:30 AM
there are alot of very good skimmers I would ask on here if anyone has one for sale.

Bill

Its that the way it works though...if i get one rated formuch larger than my tank will it do a much better job or is that overly simplistic.

reefwars
08-23-2010, 12:49 AM
if you can afford it go bigger and better no upgrade later i have a skimmer rated for 200+gal on a 110G i was curious if it was too much but have been informed by the majority to get as big a skimmer i can fit and afford:) mine takes out twice as much as my old one did:) i have a vertex in-180

reefwars
08-23-2010, 12:51 AM
there is a thread on here about over skimming but its pretty back and forth depending on your livestock :):)

Seth72
08-23-2010, 12:55 AM
there is a thread on here about over skimming but its pretty back and forth depending on your livestock :):)

Over skimming...lol...oh for crying out loud i havent even figured out any skimming yet.What have i got myself into,This is not a simple hobbie:confused:

Seth72
08-23-2010, 01:02 AM
That vertex looks nice reefwars...i just googled it....any problems with it...looks like 350 bucks...i couldnt find it on big als online

reefwars
08-23-2010, 01:29 AM
its good so far i bought mine second hand from another reefer who downgraded i paid only a fraction of the cost brand new and its big enough to handle any upgrade i may make in the future. keep it simple and get a skimmer rated for more than your total gallons(including sump etc.)post a want ad on here and i guarantee youll find a good second hand one on here for cheap:) make sure the skimmer will fit in your sump and with in your plumbing:)