PDA

View Full Version : Sump into Basement

Finley
08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
So here I go again, moving the tank. Just a side note, a 12' x 12' room which doubles as your wife's office is not condusive to a 160g fish tank. I'm moving the tank out into the living room area beside the kitchen nook. The living room in sunken down about 1.5' so there is drywall to run pipes through into my unfinished basement. I've braced the floor (for my own piece of mind) and built a sump stand. I've built a new stand since it needs to be lower and have been ordering the parts and plumbing I will need so it's just a matter of finding the time to put everything together.

I'm going with a Reeflo Hammerhead since I'll be running all of my reators ect from it. I also figure I'll have have about 18' of head height plus a few elbows so I went big since it can be dialled down. The Hammerhead arrived and Wow this is a nice looking unit. 1.5" and 1.5" out.

I'm just looking for a little advice/experience from others who have done this.

mark
08-23-2010, 02:07 AM
-found mixing in some Spa-flex makes the routing a little easier (uses the same size fittings as rigid PVC).
-have my sump sitting on a stand about 4' high, less head, storage underneath plus allows siphoning into the laundry sink for water changes
-think about your drains (eg Herbie), I'm running dual Dursos and though quiet upstairs, all that pipe run to the basement sump, get quite a bit of gurgling (both in the sump and noticeable coming from the lines)