PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cap ballast Wiring Question

Andy
11-24-2003, 02:19 AM
I was splicing the black, white and green wires coming from my Ice Cap 660 wiring harness to a grounded power cord and was wondering whether it matters if the black and white wires are switched. My grounded power cord has a green wire and 2 coloured white so I don't know which is hot and which is neutral. I've already wired it together one way and the lights come on for a split second then shut down. Something is amiss. Any ideas.

Thanks,

Andy

Bob I
11-24-2003, 02:33 AM
It does matter. The power cord should not have two white wires, but one is probably identified by way of a tracer, or a small rib on the wire. Otherwise you can identify it by way of an ohmeter. Otherwise I can't really help. :frown:

Andy
11-24-2003, 03:09 AM
One of the wires is ribbed on the outside. Is that the hot wire.

StirCrazy
11-24-2003, 03:22 AM
One of the wires is ribbed on the outside. Is that the hot wire.

is it like that at both ends? if so this is what I sugest. take black electral tape and wrap the non ribbed white wire so you turn it into a black wire at the ends where it is exposed. so when you hook up you will go white to white (commen) black to black (power) and green to green (ground)

I did a simular thing with wiring my aircompressor, when you use 110 wire for 220 you have to take the white wire and wrap the exposed end in the box with red tape to indacate that it is now a power line like the black.

Steve