PDA

View Full Version : I am so unbelievably dead!!!

Albertan22
08-21-2010, 08:45 PM
So I'm making up water today for a waterchange using my RO/DI unit and have a bit of a flood. Same old story you say, but stay tuned. I don't have room to permanently install my RO/DI unit anywhere so I typically set it on the bathroom counter, hook the input to the tap and direct the waste water down the drain.

Todays flood happened differently than any flood I've engineered yet. The wastewater hose managed to move itself out of the sink and onto the counter. Every time I walked by today, it looked like everything was fine (at least at a glance). No water was flowing on the floor, all appeared well.

When I noticed the hose out of the sink, I thought it must have just happened since there was no water on the floor. I opened the vanity up, and there was some water in the bottom of it. So I'm cleaning off everything down there and run to the basement to get towels, there's water everywhere. There's like 1-2 mm of water across half the basement floor, one of the ceiling tiles has caved in, two more look like they'll collapse any time. A shelving unit containing all of my tools is soaked from top to bottom, and it's a good 8 feet from where the bathroom is upstairs. As best I can figure, the water must have followed the outside of the drain pipe from the sink into the basement.

Here's the part where I'm really going to get killed, my wife (who is away at a conference) has been re-organizing the basement over the last week. She's got all her boxes of childhood stuff opened and spread across the entire floor of the basement, nearly all of it is water damaged.

She comes home tonight, and I have a lot of work to do. To top it all off, I've been argueing a bit about the value of keeping all that stuff with her over the past few days. I have a feeling this may be my last post before my untimely death...

bignose
08-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Start packing! just kidding hopefully your wife is like mine and doesn't freak out. I flooded my neighbors at my old apartment with ~20G.
Good luck

jorjef
08-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow that string of events will never be believable to your wife.... Aquarium world about to collide with wifes memory lane world.... a no win situation..lol Best to say little and accept all punishment without arguement... Or run like hell which I would do.

Murminator
08-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Mom or Dad would be easier to explain to than a wife yet a wives childhood stuff damaged.....hmmm tough one......have you thought of getting some gas and lighting the house on fire....then blame it on the firefighters....thats the only way out I see

marie
08-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Murminator on this one

....your screwed

Myka
08-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I would suggest you pack an overnight bag, and sleep in a hotel for a couple days to let her simmer down. Leave a bouquet of red roses and a note that just says, "I'm sorry. I love you. Be back in a few days."

rkelman
08-21-2010, 09:35 PM
You are sooo screwed. Good luck! :)

bvlester
08-21-2010, 09:57 PM
When she gets home take her out to dinner at a very exceptive one at that and say I'm sorry but I have to leave you before you see our basement. pay for dinner and drop her off at the house stay in a hotel. By the way you have to have a suitcase packed in the trunk of the car. leave her a note explaining that you will never flood the house again to do so you are going to have the ro unit mounted in the basement permanently. You can run a 1/4" line upstairs from the RO unit with a shutoff valve on it.

Bill

P.S. if she finds where you are before she calms down you are dead or she is a very forgiving women and then you want to make sure you keep her.

Zoaelite
08-21-2010, 09:58 PM
+1 Lighting the house on fire:neutral:

Doug
08-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Ouch. I feel for you. I would be there in a sec to help if I was closer.

Milad
08-21-2010, 10:09 PM
stage a break in

sphelps
08-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Only way out is to lie, honestly will only screw you.

Break the water line under the sink so it looks like a faulty part or something. Then it wouldn't technically be your fault.

Or tell her you slipped in the shower on one of HER special soaps knocking yourself unconscious while clogging the drain with your foot. You almost drowned but luckily you awoke right before your head was submerged. Unfortunately some water overflowed the basement but at least you're OK!!

Megalodon
08-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Wow, that sucks!

My last water spill was caused by the RO/DI under the sink. There was no water damage in my own unit but there was $5550.91 in damage to the ground unit below me. My insurance wouldn't cover it. I'm still paying for it via monthly payments. :(

jorjef
08-21-2010, 10:39 PM
I bet if he could he would change places with you !!

Megalodon
08-21-2010, 10:58 PM
I bet if he could he would change places with you !!OK, I propose that I will take the blame for ruining all her childhood belongings, maybe let her slap and kick me a bit, and in exchange he will pay the rest of my water damage payments, LOL.

meenamjah
08-21-2010, 11:16 PM
forget flowers... it's time for diamonds... lol

jorjef
08-21-2010, 11:47 PM
OK, I propose that I will take the blame for ruining all her childhood belongings, maybe let her slap and kick me a bit, and in exchange he will pay the rest of my water damage payments, LOL.

I have talked to my client and he has agreed in principal to your terms but has asked for a 5 minute frag fest (all the corals he can collect) from your display tank........ and your RO system.

reefwars
08-22-2010, 12:02 AM
is it possible she wont notice ?? well in case you need them i composed a list of excuses when she finds out:):)

" what box of stuff honey?? "
"you mean theres water ....but where did the water come from??"
" you sure it wasnt the neighbors??"
"i thought you said TO flood the basement"
" global warming??
"humm i really thought that would have dried by now"
honey i flooded the basement....p.s your cat didnt make it :):)

the last one id save in case shes very mad lol or the cat will hate you:):)

if you need a place to live my girlfriend is a leasing agent and can get you a nice apartment with a concrete floor:):)

fishoholic
08-22-2010, 12:18 AM
WOW that sucks, good luck!

Mandosh
08-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Break the water line under the sink so it looks like a faulty part or something. Then it wouldn't technically be your fault.

That was going to be my suggestion...

Seamazter
08-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Tell her you are going to redo the kitchen or bathroom if she prefers, as her gift.
She can even plan it.
Good luck friend.

StirCrazy
08-22-2010, 01:14 AM
whats with all the recomendations that he lies and decives.. thats a good way to keep your marrage going :rolleyes:

just man up, tell the truth, then come up with a way to fix it so it won't happen again.. which is what you should have made sure in the first place. instead of waisting more money on dinner and hotel rooms, use the money to install the RO properly.

sure she will be mad for a bit, but unless there is something else wrong she will get over it in a day or two.. if not maybe its just the writing on the wall.

Steve

meenamjah
08-22-2010, 01:25 AM
whats with all the recomendations that he lies and decives.. thats a good way to keep your marrage going :rolleyes:

just man up, tell the truth, then come up with a way to fix it so it won't happen again.. which is what you should have made sure in the first place. instead of waisting more money on dinner and hotel rooms, use the money to install the RO properly.

sure she will be mad for a bit, but unless there is something else wrong she will get over it in a day or two.. if not maybe its just the writing on the wall.

Steve

well, I'm sure most of those are just in jest... besides, no point lying about it after posting it here, is there?

jorjef
08-22-2010, 01:35 AM

Steve

Buzz kill

daniella3d
08-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Sad story. I had my share of water accident and my boyfriend was always relatively calm even though it's his house. He was not pleased for sure but we got over it and I am still alive :)

I just moved the RO unit downstair after that last mess. Now when something happen all it does is to wet the concrete floor all the way to the drain.

Good luck.

marie
08-22-2010, 01:42 AM

Steve

If she has any intelligence at all non of these lies or deceptions are going to work anyway.....and get over it? what planet are you from?

Granted no one can maintain a state of furiousness for long but this is sure to enter into any argument they have from now until eternity :razz:

Captainhemo
08-22-2010, 02:13 AM
You guys got it all wrong.....
Just go out and buy her a really cool expeensive fish ! Maybe an exotic coral or two !!

wayner
08-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Just start crying uncontrollably when she walks through the door.

reefwars
08-22-2010, 03:59 AM
seriously though ...you think hes dead its been a while maybe someone should call lol?????:):)

Seamazter
08-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Just start crying uncontrollably when she walks through the door.

Best advice ever, sincere and really shows how you feel.
Then offer to redo the bathroom or the kitchen, in her design.

jorjef
08-22-2010, 04:10 AM
seriously though ...you think hes dead its been a while maybe someone should call lol?????:):)

He could be "swimmin wit da fishes" as we speak...

kevNnic
08-22-2010, 05:10 AM
you are most likly screwed.. good luck is all i can say

Albertan22
08-22-2010, 05:18 AM
He could be "swimmin wit da fishes" as we speak...

Still alive, she hasn't come home yet... I've spent the day with towels and fans drying things out. I think I may have saved most of the stuff, but some of it isn't ever going to be quite the same again...

Steve

I phoned her already and let her know, she didn't sound to happy. I think some flowers and a gift are in order tomorrow.

The RO unit is too tall to fit under any of my sinks on the main floor. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned installing it in the basement and runing a 1/4" line upstairs, would there be enough presure to run water up a floor? Or would it just all end up running out the waste line? The reason I didn't install it down there is because I have no way of getting a trash can full of make up water up the stairs to my DT.

Albertan22
08-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Mom or Dad would be easier to explain to than a wife yet a wives childhood stuff damaged.....hmmm tough one......have you thought of getting some gas and lighting the house on fire....then blame it on the firefighters....thats the only way out I see

:lol: At the height of my panic, this seemed like a really good way out. But then I started to worry about damaging the tank :redface:

Albertan22
08-22-2010, 06:18 AM
LOL!!! Thanks for the laughs folks!! I have to say he did a great job cleaning up, and from what I can see, the damage has been kept to a minimum. A few things got wet, but hey, I really didn't need to store ALL that stuff for the next 50 years did I?? No flowers, presents, dinner, renovations though...I guess he knows me too well :lol: I think perhaps we may have to rethink the system though to prevent the next disaster!!

~ The Wife :smile:

banditpowdercoat
08-22-2010, 11:27 AM
LOL!!! Thanks for the laughs folks!! I have to say he did a great job cleaning up, and from what I can see, the damage has been kept to a minimum. A few things got wet, but hey, I really didn't need to store ALL that stuff for the next 50 years did I?? No flowers, presents, dinner, renovations though...I guess he knows me too well :lol: I think perhaps we may have to rethink the system though to prevent the next disaster!!

Now there's a Great woman..

Spiny
08-22-2010, 12:38 PM
This story sounds fishy... no wife can be THAT understanding :p

Leah
08-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Women can be very understanding....chances are if the shoe were on the other foot it may not have had a happy ending. :wink:

shrimpchips
08-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Phew! Sounds like someone made it out alive. But I'm sure he won't be hearing the end of this one for a while!

I also don't have a place to run my RO/DI like a nice basement, since I live in a condo. In order to prevent these flooding type events, I run my RO/DI in the tub, so any waste water just goes down the tub drain. Also, I fill 5g buckets, so when one spills over, it just flows down the tub to the drain. So no worries there about flooding or anything of the sort.

sphelps
08-22-2010, 02:31 PM
... would there be enough presure to run water up a floor? Or would it just all end up running out the waste line? ...

It won't make a noticeable difference, mine has always been in the basement with a line upstairs, same with many other systems I've dealt with. The extra pressure difference isn't enough to cause problems, most of us use accumulators to store water which add back pressure in the 8psi range. 8 psi is around 20 feet of height. Some units also allow you to tune the pressure on the waste line so you can adjust the ratio for such situations. If you were really concerned about it you could run your waste line upstairs as well which would result in the same as installing the whole unit upstairs.

Lance
08-22-2010, 03:11 PM

Will you marry me?

StirCrazy
08-22-2010, 03:25 PM
The RO unit is too tall to fit under any of my sinks on the main floor. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned installing it in the basement and runing a 1/4" line upstairs, would there be enough presure to run water up a floor? Or would it just all end up running out the waste line? The reason I didn't install it down there is because I have no way of getting a trash can full of make up water up the stairs to my DT.

hmmm.. what about setting it up in the bathroom so you can fill stuff up in the shower or bathtub?. or filling 5 gal containers and then carring them to where you need them? if all else fails put a 5lb weight on your waist line to make sure it doesnt pop out of the sink. I used to have mine set up in the garage with the fill line split. one direction would to go my top off containers which were also int he garage, the other line was for filling jugs. I ran my waist into the laundry drain and if I had to do a water change then I would run down twenty gallons of water from my top off (which was 110 gal) do my water change and top off my top up container again. now I have flooded the garage twice. but that was topping off a stupid frag tank I had out there both times.......

also you can get water screamers for about 20 bucks. well worth the investment.

Steve

Steve

hillbillyreefer
08-22-2010, 04:31 PM
+10000 on the water screamers. About once per year something screws up in our septic system making a mess in the basement. Since picking up some $8 screamers a couple years ago, no big mess, just a little moisture around the floor drain.

Murminator
08-22-2010, 05:25 PM

Hmmm I think she is still drunk from her "conference" :wink:

hillbillyreefer
08-22-2010, 08:45 PM
It`s a diversion from the bloodied mass of pulp lying in the corner. Giving herself time to create an alibi and get away.

JUST KIDDING. My wife would probably have a sense of humour about it too.

Albertan22
08-24-2010, 12:08 AM
I actually think that her not being home is what saved my butt. It gave me time to clean up and dry out the basement before she could see the mess.

Myka
08-24-2010, 03:20 AM
I actually think that her not being home is what saved my butt. It gave me time to clean up and dry out the basement before she could see the mess.

Ya, you're pretty lucky there!

lockrookie
08-24-2010, 03:53 AM
every time i spill on the carpet is just one more reason for the wife to encourage me to change out living room floors. so i do my best not to spill if possible.