PDA

View Full Version : H2S in stagnant standing pipe water

Delphinus
05-22-2002, 01:07 AM
I've had my sump shut off for a couple of weeks. Kept the water in the sump circulating with a powerhead and a heater. Had the water level in the main tank artificially raised beyond the intake to the overflow by having the tank's downspout valve turned off.

So I opened that valve, and let the main tank drain to the top of the standing pipe into the sump.

The problem is the water that was sitting in the standing pipe all this time. It's most foul, the smell of rotting eggs came wafting out of the sump after that water drained into it.

So, I'm thinking, I just created myself a 20 gallon water change. Is this correct? Ie., I assume this water in the sump is no good now? I should just dump it, and start up a new batch before turning my sump back on? I assume the smell is H2S...

Troy F
05-22-2002, 01:16 AM
I would say so Tony. If it smells like hydrogen sulfide there is no point in chancing it.

Delphinus
05-22-2002, 01:42 AM
Thanks. Yeah, decided to dump it already. This water STINKS. Pee-yew!! In retrospect, I guess it was a pretty obvious thing to ask. Oh well, glad to hear your thoughts anyways, it lets me know I'm probably doing the right thing.

It does set me back a few days, but a few days is nothing, got too much in that tank to be taking chances now.

Jack Rainville
05-22-2002, 06:59 PM
If I were you, I would also run carbon for a while (if that's something you don't normally do) incase there's anything lingering on the walls of the standpipe.