PDA

View Full Version : GSP overgrowth

kenter16
08-20-2010, 02:16 AM
I was just wondering how to control the growth of my GSP... It is taking over my tank, quite literally. When i purchased a frag of it last christmas it was about 4" by 4", now it takes up almost half of my ~95 lbs of live rock. I used to have a ton of cracks and crevasses where i would put other frags there. It grew right over a couple frags of zoas. I was hoping there was a fish or invertebrate out there that will snack on it. Not that I want it gone, just if I keep letting it grow uninhibited it will cover everything. I was thinking of buying a couple corals that pack a good punch, like a frogspawn and setting up a perimeter. Is that a good idea? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

intarsiabox
08-20-2010, 02:47 AM
I don't know of anything that eats or kills GSP but I do know that GSP will also overgrow frog spawn. Physical removal is the only way I know, some even use a butune torch to make sure that all of the material is off the rock they are trying to remove it from.

Tom R
08-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Like a number of coals or shall we say weeds, GSP can quickly spread.

Getting rid of it is almost impossible. GSP is very hard to get rid of. I have seen patches of GSP in FOWLR tanks doing just fine.

I sometimes just turn the rock over so that the GSP is face down into the sand. The GSP however will be back within a month or two.

You can also move a rock into your sump if dark and leave it there for a few months and the GSP will slowly disappear.

Tom R

mark
08-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Got the same problem. It's a constant battle peeling it off with a dental pick and also have a fair bit of rock in the sump. Stuff in the sump been there probably close to 6 months and though haven't seen the polyps in months, fleshy part is holding on. Sure it will come back if I show it light.

bignose
08-20-2010, 03:20 AM
I've thought about taking a rotary tool and gouging it off on my rock. Not sure if that's safe though.

Wingin It
08-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Why is it I seem to be able to kill this stuff easy!!??!

Myka
08-20-2010, 03:38 AM
I use boiling water to tame any that gets out of control on me. I have it growing up most of the back glass on my reef, and sometimes it creeps across the sand and gets on my rocks when I'm not looking so I have to get it with the boiling water. It takes several treatments though over the course of a couple months. I use a length of rigid airline tubing on the end of a big 200cc syringe. Always gotta be onnit. Best thing I have figured out so far.

whatcaneyedo
08-20-2010, 04:07 AM
How attached to your rock are you? I advised someone locally to just trade in their GSP covered rock at our LFS for some new liverock. They made the trade and the store was able to sell it within a week. Theres always some new person to the hobby who likes the stuff.

I've personally just used a butane torch to get rid of small patches. I've tried leaving the rock in the dark for several months but I find GSP will just go dormant and then will grow again right away when illuminated once more.

mark
08-20-2010, 04:37 AM
How attached to your rock are you? I advised someone locally to just trade in their GSP covered rock at our LFS for some new liverock. They made the trade and the store was able to sell it within a week. Theres always some new person to the hobby who likes the stuff.

bit mean knowingly letting it loose on the unexpecting newbie. Sort of the 'friends don't give friends GSP' thing.

Dez
08-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Sell it. That's what I did. At first I thought I'd try to keep some on a little island on the sand, but then I got really sick of trimming it as it grew onto the sand. Sell all of your rock cheap to a reefer just starting out or doing a FOWLR tank, then get some base rock to replace it. That's what I would do anyway. And if you still like GSP, then keep it on it's own little island on the sand.

blacknife
08-21-2010, 05:05 AM
keeping mine semishaded in the sand.. but i keep finding random little patches here and there in the tank probably from little pieces that got away on long ago trimmings....

trying kalk on the hard to reach places and its slowing it down but not obliterating it.