PDA

View Full Version : GBTA removal

jorjef
08-20-2010, 12:42 AM
My first anenome and I realize now why it took this long to get one......Stay where I put you!!! lol ....Is there anyway possible to remove an anemone from rock with out damaging it ? Of coarse it has taken up residence right beside the intake....only in the tank 24 hours and it's in a shaded area. Will it eventually move to a brighter location?

reefwars
08-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Mire than likely it will move to a place it likes mine crawled in a hole for weeks than popped up one day, you can peel him softly if it's foot is visible but if it's in a hole or has it's foot spread into crevaces it would be difficult without harming him . You can make the place he's un now unpleasant and he may move somewhere better by aiming a powerhead in Its direction or blocking it from light to see if it moves closer to it , but monitor it:) I'm sure there's other ways but if it's nit in any harm to it's self or others then it will move in time:)

jorjef
08-20-2010, 01:18 AM
I've tried to slowly peel him from the edge of his foot but he is stuck like stupid!! He could have part of his foot wedged in the rock, anyways I extended the intake with some pipe I had laying around so until decides to scale it all should be good. Still erks me lolol I didn't buy you to be buried behind some rock lol...I have to quit yelling at the aquarium...

dsaundry
08-20-2010, 03:11 PM
If you have a powerhead, try aiming it at it, if it gets uncomfortable enough it should move. Make sure the power head won't blow it to pieces though.

paddyob
08-20-2010, 05:09 PM
If you have a powerhead, try aiming it at it, if it gets uncomfortable enough it should move. Make sure the power head won't blow it to pieces though.

I trained mine by directing water flow until it stopped somewhere I wanted it.

Don't put the power head right on nem, but in the general direction. Keep adjusting flow until he moves. And he will.

I had four different currents directed to keep him in place.... but once in place he never moved until I sold him a while ago.

Can't wait to get another when my 70 is set up!

jorjef
08-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I might have to use the no light stratagy first. Where he is now I have very little room to a power head (on a rock facing the back of the tank, hardly get my hand in there)

mike31154
08-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Piece of flexible vinyl tubing of the appropriate size to slide on to the nozzle of your powerhead. Might be able to reach it that way. I had to re-aquascape once after my BTA went into hiding, didn't come out for weeks and was getting very pale & shrinking. Had to flip a sizeable live rock a good quarter turn if not more, and of course that rock was supporting several others. Before that it had stayed put for close to two years and it hasn't moved more than an inch or two since, even after splitting off a clone which also split. All three stayed very close, moved one a few weeks ago in anticipation of sale/frag swap in Kamloops. I was able to prod the foot with a gloved hand long enough for it to release.

viperfish
08-20-2010, 06:14 PM
I use the ice cube trick and it works every time. Just rub an ice cube around the foot and about a minute later it will completely dislodge from the rock.

jorjef
08-20-2010, 07:21 PM
That sounds like the easiest, I'll let him decide for the next few days if that's where he wants to stay and if so ...out comes the cube and we'll try again.

jorjef
08-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Well it's been a few days and he has remained on a rock facing the back of the tank (not where I would like to see him) He does thou stretch waaaaay up during the day to get some better light, kind of looks like the head of a tulip, not looking like an amenome at all..lol. Not sure why he is being so stubborn and not moving but I'll give it a bit longer before I give him the frosty foot....