PDA

View Full Version : discus breeders in Edmonton

reef-keeper
08-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Hello I'm looking for a discus breeder in Edmonton. I would like to pick up 5-6 small ones. If you know of one please pm me or leave a post please.
Thanks in advance!

cale262
08-19-2010, 08:30 PM
PM sent:idea:

Ross
08-19-2010, 09:39 PM
pm me also please

syb65
11-28-2010, 07:34 PM
pls pm me too

cale262
02-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I've recieved a few PM from people looking for Discus...Here's a link of some local stuff available in Edmonton...

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=32150&pid=2234020&st=0&#entry2234020

saltynuts
06-11-2012, 01:24 AM
did you find a discus breeder in edmonton!

tt101
07-17-2012, 09:28 AM
i too am intrested in finding some discus in edmonton. i seen ads on kijiji from a breeder who lives in calgary (well cashmere...i think 20 mins east of calgary?) but i dont want to drive 3 hours. anyone know of anything?
thanks

Ryan
07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
I will be ordering some discus fom Rick at Canadian Aqua farm discus hatchery if anyone wants to do a group order.

tt101
07-17-2012, 07:25 PM
hey ryan, seeing as how you live in lethbridge and i live in edmonton im wondering how a group order would work? would 't we still be paying $95 each for shipping or does rick split the price of shipping among people?
thanks

damtrees420
07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
hey ryan, seeing as how you live in lethbridge and i live in edmonton im wondering how a group order would work? would 't we still be paying $95 each for shipping or does rick split the price of shipping among people?
thanks

i may be intrested in ordering a few i have had about 100 or so from rick all good quality and would order more if you wanted to split shipping let me know

Ross
07-17-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm in Calgary and would be in on a group order.
Thanks for the heads up on the guy in Chestermere I'll have to check them out one day.

tt101
07-17-2012, 08:14 PM
i may be intrested in ordering a few i have had about 100 or so from rick all good quality and would order more if you wanted to split shipping let me know

if we can split the shipping with ryan and other people around alberta we could join in on that but if it doesnt work like that then we could try and make a group order among a few people in edmonton and try and work out some deals with rick

tt101
07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm in Calgary and would be in on a group order.
Thanks for the heads up on the guy in Chestermere I'll have to check them out one day.

no problem of course, i would have went and checked him out myself but i dont want to drive 3 hours from edmonton.......we might be going to shlvann lake in the next few days and i'll see if i can go with my dad from sylvann to chestermere(i called it cashmere.......WHOOOPS LOOOL)
from the pictures i wasn't really impressed but who knows and you cant really beat $20 for a discus lol.

SanguinesDream
11-16-2012, 11:18 AM
In my honest opinion, I don't trust ordering fish that I cannot see how they interact with each other, their body shape and how aggressively they eat.

I contacted Mike Gies(?) and everything is sight unseen while placing an order.

I have a large discus tank 55 gallon with 1 royal red, 1 torquoise blue, 2 snakeskin, 1 blue diamond and 2 pigeon bloods and only made the mistake ONCE of ordering sight unseen, one of the pigeons. Never again. Because at that size it is hard to know if it is stunted, true shape and it had more peppering than I'd like.

I find it is worth the extra $20 for larger fish that you can see the eye to head ration and the body size compared to fins, even with high fin discus.

Just my 2c worth....

Ryan
11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
55g is not by any means a large discus tank. Thats the bare minimum size to start out with.

If you order from reputable dealers you wont have that problem.

Rick from Canadian aqua farm is a very reputable dealer with WYSIWYG fish. Even if you are unsure he goes above and beyond to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

SanguinesDream
11-16-2012, 06:02 PM
55g is not by any means a large discus tank. Thats the bare minimum size to start out with.

If you order from reputable dealers you wont have that problem.

Rick from Canadian aqua farm is a very reputable dealer with WYSIWYG fish. Even if you are unsure he goes above and beyond to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Unfortunately, problems do happen even with reputable breeders.

I would much rather look at the fish, see how it interacts with others and how aggressively it attacks the food.

Even at buying 2-3 inch fish, the size that all of mine are, there are still many things that can be avoided if you watch the fish interact, imho.

Ryan
11-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Yes that is very true. Bad stuff can happen with anyone you buy fish from.

Rick puts up videos of his discus tanks. Several minutes on each tank so you can see the fish swimming, eating and interacting vs only in pictures.

There is more that can happen with 2-3 inch fish than just interacting that will stunt growth and shape. At this stage in their lives water quality and food quality plays the biggest role.

Trabby
11-16-2012, 09:28 PM
I will consider going in on this order as I too am in lethbridge. I will do some research into the supplier and his stock.