PDA

View Full Version : Royal Gramma and BlackCap VS False Percs

eternitybc
08-19-2010, 06:52 PM
So we have a 55 gallon tank that our two clowns see as all theirs, mostly because they have been alone in it for a while. Last weekend we added a Royal Grammar and a Black Cap; the fish store guy said they would be ok but looking now posts online are cautioning against it. That being said the two new additions picked rocks right next to each and barely notice each other as it’s the clowns being the trouble makers. It’s actually kind of weird, whenever the Blackcap or Royal venture away from their rocks the clowns rush over and do a belly dance near them. No nipping, it like they are trying to land there belly on the other head… I’m wondering if this is temporary behaviour being only day 3? Are the clowns going to slowly get used to them and give them more space or is this all going to go horribly wrong?

gobytron
08-19-2010, 06:56 PM
usually aggresion gets worse and not better.

I'd be wary of the black cap and gramma establishing their own territories and defending them once established, although your saving grace might be having added them simultaneously.

A major rescape very well might alleviate the clown aggression and put everyone on an even playing field.

kevNnic
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
my royal gamma just does his own thing the whole time in my tank. And my clowns dont really bother him, they usually just fight with each other.

gobytron
08-19-2010, 07:38 PM
are they a mature, mated pair whove lain eggs and are hosting something in your tank?

did you add them all at once or have you done any major rescaping since you added them all?

eternitybc
08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
The clowns are only about 5 months old, but they are definitely inseparable. They aren’t hosting anything yet, I have been told they are still to young still. I did move a bit of rock around, but I could have done a lot more. I also added them at night and tried to keep the tank dark.

kevNnic
08-19-2010, 08:41 PM
i have 3 clowns, two of them paired off and host the top of the tank where the RBTA's are. My other clowns hosts a little cave at the bottom of the tank, why i dont know. They are sleep in the anemone's at night though. they are all very young still and hosted right away so age has no bearing. Hopefully everything remains peaceful in the tank. my clowns dont bug any other fish in my tank.

eternitybc
08-20-2010, 03:27 AM
So I have been watching them a bit more tonight and I'm wondering if the clowns are just curious of these new fish. They aren't making any real aggressive moves they just head over when they see them come out of the rocks. Its more like they are trying to play but instead just swim close to each other in an uneasy way. I'm new to this so maybe its just normal?

Felix
08-25-2010, 03:53 AM
well my clowns get on ok with my Royal gramma, McCloskers wrasse and coral beauty in my Red Sea Max 130.
so i say don't sweat it thay'll be fine in a couple of days

Felix

i'm no expert mine have been happy for 4 months although they do play tag wrasse and RG at hgh speed, clowns a little slower!!

abcha0s
08-25-2010, 05:16 AM
My BlackCap picked the same rock structure to call home as my pair of clowns. He lasted about a week and then jumped out of the tank. Make sure you have a good cover.

bvlester
08-25-2010, 07:55 AM
I believe that the clowns are showing that they are a pair and not to come to close to their area. My clowns do this any time I have added fish to my tank they settle down and life goes on. as long as the new fish do not move in to the clowns rock structure or hosting spot. That does also mean the area they tend to stay closest to, it could be the top of the tank a little rock on the bottom of the tank and so on .
Clowns will host anything, even the surface of the water and equipment.

Bill