PDA

View Full Version : Going to MACNA

Dez
08-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Well, I never thought the salt water hobby/addiction would take me this far, but I'm going to MACNA in Florida at the beginning of Sept.

I feel pretty nerdy but also excited to see what's new out there first hand and listen to some great speakers.

reefwars
08-19-2010, 01:07 AM
wow good job, congats:):)

Jeff_
08-19-2010, 01:09 AM
MACNA is always a great time. I was lucky enough to go to the one in Atlanta and I had an amazing time. Be sure to enter some raffles, always fun winning a 200 dollar skimmer from a 5 dollar ticket :biggrin: Tons of free samples too, from all the vendors booths to the amazing speakers there is so much neat stuff its almost impossible to see it all in the 3 days. Have fun!

BlueWorldAquatic
08-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Dez,

Maybe I'll run ito you there.

Ken

Dez
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
On one of the days I'll be sporting my "Clean up Crew" shirt by Fishbrains. I just got one last week. They didn't have the other shirt in my size though...

BlueTang<3
08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
For those of you who have no clue http://www.macna2010.com/home.
Well that should be a good trip how long are you going for? You hanging around Orlando a bit too or just for the MACNA. I am kinda jealous.. Should be interesting to see the products and some of the corals down there. You will have to report back on some of the led lighting you find while your there. Have Fun!

JonT
08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
I will drive to them if they are within 10 hours of my place. You think you feel nerdy now? Wait till you get to tell the guy at the border/security, why your going to the USA :) The look is priceless!

Megs
09-07-2010, 04:44 AM
do Dez did you have a good time?

It was my first time attending MACNA, I have been an enthusiastic hobbyist for over 4 years now, and finally had the opportunity to go with my OHs (other-halfs) work, so I jumped at the chance. It was a fantastic opportunity. I attended several lectures and spent countless hours wandering around the convention taking photographs, I feel somewhat smarter from all i have learned, though I feel as though I have more questions than before i went! I suppose this is a good thing!! I bought several books on my "book wish list" that I look forward to reading, got a good head start on the 6 hour plane ride home :mrgreen:

I think I felt slightly more nerdy being a female minority at the show, and I got one comment on an easier feeding regime in the event my OH went out of town, I wouldnt have such a hard time (where is the laughing smiley) to have to deal with the "hassle of frozen food" (which I already do, more than the OH) little did this vendor know you can be "pretty" and a gross nerd at the same time :lol: :redface:

saltynuts
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
nerd! have a good time.

christyf5
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
I think I felt slightly more nerdy being a female minority at the show, and I got one comment on an easier feeding regime in the event my OH went out of town, I wouldnt have such a hard time (where is the laughing smiley) to have to deal with the "hassle of frozen food" (which I already do, more than the OH) little did this vendor know you can be "pretty" and a gross nerd at the same time :lol: :redface:

LOL, did they make any "little lady" comments? I love that :razz:

Sounds like a great time, I really wanted to go this year but alas, it wasn't in the cards :neutral:

Chaloupa
09-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Sounds like a great time, I really wanted to go this year but alas, it wasn't in the cards :neutral:

NEXT YEAR???? I want to go, and figure it is definitely work related.....:lol:

christyf5
09-07-2010, 04:30 PM
NEXT YEAR???? I want to go, and figure it is definitely work related.....:lol:

Hmm, next year might work. Hello Iowa! :wink:

lastlight
09-07-2010, 06:53 PM
The hobby's exploding with new innovations and products right now...I would love to attend this event you lucky salty dawg.

muck
09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Saw some of the photos on the FB and looks like a good time was had.
Post some favs up here Dez.

Dez
09-08-2010, 06:15 PM
For some reason canreef wasn't working for me for the last week or so. I think my bookmark screwed up the link. It was a great time. Ha a book signed by Sprung. The owner of Gieseman bought me a beer and sat around chatting with him for a while. TONS of LED lighting to be seen. Attended a very informative session by Calfo. Went to the two theme parks at universal studios and did all the rides. Met the guy who discovered zoxanthalae. Did some Outlet shopping. Generally a good time.

lastlight
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
In a convertible! don't be so darn modest....you guys pimped it UP reef stylez.

Veng68
09-08-2010, 07:26 PM
For some reason canreef wasn't working for me for the last week or so. I think my bookmark screwed up the link. It was a great time. Ha a book signed by Sprung. The owner of Gieseman bought me a beer and sat around chatting with him for a while. TONS of LED lighting to be seen. Attended a very informative session by Calfo. Went to the two theme parks at universal studios and did all the rides. Met the guy who discovered zoxanthalae. Did some Outlet shopping. Generally a good time.

That was probably because the site was migrated to a new server. It was off and on on the 3-4th.

Cheers,
Vic

Doug
09-09-2010, 12:12 AM
We can have a Canreef meet there. :D Its the closest that they have been to me in a long time. Easy drive down there. Minneapolis would be better but Des Moines is not bad.

Veng68
09-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Maybe a road trip to Inland Aquatics in Terra Haute Indiana :)

http://www.inlandaquatics.com/

Cheers,
Vic

Megs
09-09-2010, 12:51 AM
LOL, did they make any "little lady" comments? I love that :razz:

haha, no luckily no little lady comments, though had there been its a good thing im quiet and shy, but i would have fumed a bit after :smile:

Doug
09-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Maybe a road trip to Inland Aquatics in Terra Haute Indiana :)

http://www.inlandaquatics.com/

Cheers,
Vic

I would love to see their place. I purchased one of their professional made turf scrubbers, many moons ago, when they still built them.

Veng68
09-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Also while we are on the road........ hit the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.

Cheers,
Vic