PDA

View Full Version : SPS and Yellow Crown Goby

ottoman
08-18-2010, 08:01 PM
SPS with Yellow Crown Goby, is this a YES or NO? I may have to take them out before I put SPS in the display. Please advise.

Wingin It
08-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Do you mean CLOWN goby? if so, then yes, they are fine with SPS. But they will "perch" on them.

ColinD
08-18-2010, 08:44 PM
I vote 'No', mine perched and munched, he's found a new home now.

Colin

gobytron
08-18-2010, 09:11 PM
I had to get rid of my breeding pair,,,they would clear entire branches of polyps off of their coral to lay their eggs.

Until they started this, they would always eat sps polyps but never caused any real significant damage to the coral.

As an example, JL has some of the fattest, happiest clown gobies I have ever seen in their display tank perched happily on thier sps' and I heard thos guys know what they're doing...

If my coral colonies were bigger, i doubt I would have mindedall that much.

naesco
08-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Do you mean CLOWN goby? if so, then yes, they are fine with SPS. But they will "perch" on them.

+1 An entertaining and highly recommended addition.

If an SPS is dying or is otherwise in poor shape they will suck the dying tissues which gives the hobbyist the impression they are killing the coral.

gobytron
08-18-2010, 09:30 PM
+1 An entertaining and highly recommended addition.

If an SPS is dying or is otherwise in poor shape they will suck the dying tissues which gives the hobbyist the impression they are killing the coral.

innacurate.

though sometimes it's the luck of the draw as to how defined it is within an individual, SPS polyps are in this fishes natural diet and if you get one, the chances are that it will eat your sps, though maybe not the detriment of the coral itself.

here's (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t196858.html) a half decent article on them with lots of people speaking on them from experience and not speculation.

naesco
08-18-2010, 09:38 PM
From www.wetwebmedia.com

Clown or Coral Gobies, The Genus Gobiodon. Thirteen species.

I must mention these tiny chubsters; they've got to be close to the best fishes for reef and "mixed" aquariums. Though only attaining a miniscule 2 1/2 inches, Gobiodon are huge on color and spunky personality. Due to their noxious body slime no other fish bothers them, and they're happy as proverbial clams with some Acropora coral to live and feed on or their skeleton and a little live meaty food. Coral gobies should only be housed with non-aggressive feeders such as Cardinals, Seahorses and Pipefishes.

When kept as a small group they readily form pairs and mate. The genus are hermaphrodites, with females turning into males. The female deposits circular bands around a branch of host coral that are immediately fertilized and subsequently guarded by the male. Perhaps owing to their small size, rearing the young has not proved easy.

The lemon-drop-like Citron Goby, Gobiodon citrinus is the most commonly kept. The equally adaptable Yellow Goby is frequently mixed and sold as the citron; it lacks the latter's beautiful blue and white lines. Also check out the gorgeous blue-spotted coral goby, Gobiodon histrio; often mis-identified as Gobiodon rivulatus.

Keep your eyes open for the coral gobies of the genus Gobiodon and do try them if you have a mixed invertebrate/peaceful fish set-up or reef system with Acropora polyps to spare... as this is what this genus largely lives and feeds on in the wild. Found in the wild with small damsels and juvenile hawkfish which share their Acroporid perches.

gobytron
08-18-2010, 09:41 PM
From www.wetwebmedia.com

Clown or Coral Gobies, The Genus Gobiodon. Thirteen species.

I must mention these tiny chubsters; they've got to be close to the best fishes for reef and "mixed" aquariums. Though only attaining a miniscule 2 1/2 inches, Gobiodon are huge on color and spunky personality. Due to their noxious body slime no other fish bothers them, and they're happy as proverbial clams with some Acropora coral to live and feed on or their skeleton and a little live meaty food. Coral gobies should only be housed with non-aggressive feeders such as Cardinals, Seahorses and Pipefishes.

When kept as a small group they readily form pairs and mate. The genus are hermaphrodites, with females turning into males. The female deposits circular bands around a branch of host coral that are immediately fertilized and subsequently guarded by the male. Perhaps owing to their small size, rearing the young has not proved easy.

The lemon-drop-like Citron Goby, Gobiodon citrinus is the most commonly kept. The equally adaptable Yellow Goby is frequently mixed and sold as the citron; it lacks the latter's beautiful blue and white lines. Also check out the gorgeous blue-spotted coral goby, Gobiodon histrio; often mis-identified as Gobiodon rivulatus.

Keep your eyes open for the coral gobies of the genus Gobiodon and do try them if you have a mixed invertebrate/peaceful fish set-up or reef system with Acropora polyps to spare... as this is what this genus largely lives and feeds on in the wild. Found in the wild with small damsels and juvenile hawkfish which share their Acroporid perches.

so where does it say they will only "suck the tissue" off of coral if it's dying?

seems to clearly state they will munch on corals...

ultreef
08-18-2010, 10:10 PM
i read somewhere that if they lay eggs on the sps, it'll damage the tissue on your sps. but if your sps is healthy, it'll recover.

ottoman
08-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Thank you all for your information. I think I better take them out if I am going to introduce sps into my tank. Cheers.

noirsphynx
08-19-2010, 05:59 AM
I had one that loved the taste of my elegance :neutral: I know they are prone to eat the polyps on sps and are never heard of bothering lps but mine did. I couldn't figure out why my elegance was looking bad until I sat and watched the clown goby tear the tips of it's tentacles off and sallow, he had a belly full :surprise: I couldn't believe what I was seeing!