PDA

View Full Version : can coral beautys (beauties?) get lateral line disease?

christyf5
08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Never really thought about it, I thought it was mostly restricted to tangs but I'm fishsitting for Poontang and his coral beauty is looking a little funky in the head. Its hard to tell, the fish is pretty timid and only pops out for a few seconds at a time. Between the eyes in the "forehead" area the skin is discolored and kind of mottled, its like that on the side of the fish near the eye as well. There is also a pale stripe following the "lateral line" from the front to back of the fish.

I'll try to get some pics today or tomorrow if I can but just wondering. I've never had a coral beauty and this one is pretty fat and "healthy" looking other than the head issue. I could very well just be paranoid as this is the first time I've looked after someone elses tank.

naesco
08-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Never really thought about it, I thought it was mostly restricted to tangs but I'm fishsitting for Poontang and his coral beauty is looking a little funky in the head. Its hard to tell, the fish is pretty timid and only pops out for a few seconds at a time. Between the eyes in the "forehead" area the skin is discolored and kind of mottled, its like that on the side of the fish near the eye as well. There is also a pale stripe following the "lateral line" from the front to back of the fish.

I'll try to get some pics today or tomorrow if I can but just wondering. I've never had a coral beauty and this one is pretty fat and "healthy" looking other than the head issue. I could very well just be paranoid as this is the first time I've looked after someone elses tank.

Yes, angels get it too. Soak the food you are giving it in selcon and feed veggies and it should clear up.

christyf5
08-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks Naesco I'll try that :biggrin:

Lance
08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Yes, angels get it too. Soak the food you are giving it in selcon and feed veggies and it should clear up.

+1 In fact, HLLE is most prevalent in Angels, Tangs and Groupers, though I think more likely in large Angels than the Dwarfs.

gobytron
08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I thought all fish were susceptible to this but that some were just more so?

edikpok
08-18-2010, 10:00 PM

+1. Also take out your carbon filter in case you are using one. I was reading a while back that the powder that comes off the activated carbon (even after you rinse it well) might trigger HLLE...

christyf5
08-18-2010, 10:10 PM
+1. Also take out your carbon filter in case you are using one. I was reading a while back that the powder that comes off the activated carbon (even after you rinse it well) might trigger HLLE...

I'm not sure if he is running carbon, I'll have to check. Wouldn't it be odd that only a single fish out of a handful (never counted) would get HLLE though??

Captainhemo
08-19-2010, 02:06 AM
My 6 year old Coral Beauty has it as well. Shows some on her head and her dorsal isn't perfect :( She is still a great fish and isn't usually shy