PDA

View Full Version : In Wall Framing HELP!

scherzo
08-18-2010, 05:33 AM
I had to redo the stand for my inwall tank - 90 gallon over a 75 gallon tank.

Both tanks are 48.5" wide so supporting the 90 gallon on top would be interesting because I wouldn't be able to put the "legs" of the stand directly under the corners of the 90.

So I'm going to run 2X6s along the length of the front, middle and back of the 90 gallon tank. I'm only concerned about the short edges. Do they really need to be above a support?

Here is a video of my plan. *Note that there will be another tank below it*

There are walls on the left and the right of the tank so I'm not concerned about sheer although I will probably put another 2X6 across the back just to make sure.

Will this hold up the 90 gallon tank?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjN6FO07Rds

mark
08-18-2010, 12:48 PM
no reason the legs need to go directly under the tank's corners (my aren't, can see in my build), just make sure the span is supported.

reefwars
08-18-2010, 01:24 PM
instead of posts cant you make a corner stud "L"

monocus
08-18-2010, 01:30 PM
use a double 2x6 front and back-with 2x6 joists every 12 inches supported by joist hangers-make sure your ends are supported by at least 4 inches(triple instead of double-its bit of over kill but it's better to have more

mark
08-19-2010, 03:40 AM
use a double 2x6 front and back-with 2x6 joists every 12 inches supported by joist hangers-make sure your ends are supported by at least 4 inches(triple instead of double-its bit of over kill but it's better to have more

I'd say overkill, fish tank or army tank you're looking to support?

xblade
09-01-2010, 04:30 AM
fish tank or army tank you're looking to support?

:lol:
I'm no engineer,but I think the design in the vid would work fine..only thing I would change is the supports(as mentioned above) I'd use L type corners with 2 x 6 instead of posts.
JMO

Oh yea....That setup is going to look sweet. :) Keep us posted...