PDA

View Full Version : lighting acclimation

props
11-23-2003, 08:32 AM
just wondering if you guys have had problems with acclimating a coral properly to a new lighting..
i think its one of the main cause of losing a few sps of mine becuase i didn't acclimate them properly =o(
lost 4 differ acros within a week
1 acro i lost when i swapped my lighting setup from 175 to 250
after a day of having the new lighting setup the acro deterioriated in a 3 hour span
1 cap took a couple of days and the other 3 acro after a week.. =o(
trying to fid a reason on why i lost them =o(
wonder if its the recent removal of my dsb as well
i notice a 10ppm peak of ammonia right after i removed the dsb n reaquascaped the tank. then the nitrate spiked up to 15ppm after a couple of days . prolly help the stress on the tank
tank param.
ammonia -0
nitrite -0
nitrate -5ppm
ph. -7.9-8.2
alk -11dkh
ca -went from 420 to 380 during the dsb removal prolly due to
a 30% water change
haven't tested silica or phosphate

props
11-23-2003, 09:16 AM
this is the most recent frag i lost picture was taken on the 19th of this month
http://members.shaw.ca/jcaramat/corals/acro0.jpg
i've had it for over a week then 3days ago i got home late n saw the tissues already deterioriating
=o(

i'm puzzled

StirCrazy
11-23-2003, 03:46 PM
wonder if its the recent removal of my dsb as well
i notice a 10ppm peak of ammonia right after i removed the dsb n reaquascaped the tank.

My guess would be this is your reason "normaly" going to a hogher light will just cause bleaching but the amonia and nitrate could definatly do dammage at thoes levels.

Steve

Aquattro
11-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Jesse, I'm voting for the DSB removal. I also had some losses from the removal of my sand.

props
11-23-2003, 08:43 PM
crappy
:cry: :cry:

aussiefishy
11-23-2003, 09:51 PM
:confused: sounds kinda bad... well... it is like the basics,... touching the sandbed, spiking, things dying... well. maybe lession learnt and be better aquarist next time around.

i hope this won't sound of bad, or intimidating....

Cheers