PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a chiller?

LostMind
11-23-2003, 07:47 AM
After having a fan fall into the sump and trip the gfci, I think I need a chiller.

Any suggestions for one that is needed to lower my 120gallon tank temps by 3-4 degrees that doesnt cost $1200?

kari
11-23-2003, 04:25 PM
J&L brought in a few 1/4hp Pacific Crest units with internal dual control for well under $1000 ( I think they were $800 and something .) This was a while back though.
Have you checked the U-grow shops? In Calgary they sell a DIY type setup. Just need a controller. Maybe less then above idea. Noise??

Also have you considered all the drawbacks of operating a chiller?

Kari

UnderWorldAquatics
11-23-2003, 07:02 PM
I pretty much always use aqua logic chillers, but there are a few others out there that are pretty good, since you are only chilling a small tank that wont keep a chiller under much load, get a chiller off of ebay...

zulu_principle
11-23-2003, 11:48 PM
One that made locally and is used by most of the larger aquariums in the world is UMI, think its www.umiindustries.com

Kari, is there other things that cost that you feel is a drawback for a chiller. I couldnt live without mine.

Also, keep an eye on the buy&sell, i purchased two one 1/2 hp, one 1/3 hp for $600.

Wendell

kari
11-24-2003, 02:03 AM
Kari, is there other things that cost that you feel is a drawback for a chiller. I couldnt live without mine.
Wendell

Some drawbacks that come to mind other then price tag are;
-power consumption
-possible controller malfunction
-they can throw out a lot of heat into the room (I guess that is its purpose though)
-some units can be fairly noisey

But don't get me wrong. My chiller did solve my temp problems and I have not regretted buying it.

Kari