PDA

View Full Version : Well I finally got the 34g up

dsaundry
08-17-2010, 03:39 AM
Well as the reno's are still ongoing at my house and the 140g project still in it's infancy I finally took a few days and put the 34g tank together, It's the replacement for the old 27g bowfront that was in my office. It only took a couple of days to come up with my :Inukshuk" rock formation, thanks to Vfx for the acrylic rods and Oceanic Corals for the epoxy and suggestions. Then it was relatively simple, borrow wife's SUV and load it all to the shop, assemble and fill with water leaving enough room to transfer some of their old tank water in, and few pieces of liver rock. I have mounted a diy fuge on the back which seems to work quite well and I will be adjusting the number of hydors once I figure out how much flow I think will be best. The lighting is a Marineland led set up with a 18" pc fixture and really lights the tank up nicely. There is also a small fixture over the fuge. The transfer of the livestock went pretty much ok with one minor hitch, somehow my little goby who was paired up with the pistol shrimp dissapeared, I found him a few days later when I was rinsing out some of the sand from the old 27g:cry:. I was ticked, I thought I saw him go in with the shrimp. I will also say that the 27g was over 2 years old and if it wasn't for the fact that the tank was looking a little beat up and would probably need resealing soon I probably wouldn't have bothered with this new set up. However other than the one casualty all went pretty smooth and I had it all laid out and livestock transfered within about 2-3 days. By using a fairly large amount of their original tank water I have found that this type of tranfer usually goes pretty smooth.This tank will be a very simple tank as I am only going to go with softies, hence the plea for some Gsp, Blue Clove polyps. I have some Zoa's I will be transplanting as well as a Kenya coral as well. As the tank progress's so will updated photos, here is the link to my photobucket site, any suggestions welcomed {so long as it isn't going to cost me too much money:lol:}
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/dsaundry/shop34g/

edikpok
08-17-2010, 05:24 AM
I am impressed with the 5-6 koralia's you have in your 34gals! Is it really necessary though for such a small setup?

dsaundry
08-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Some of the hydors have been removed, I was using them to test flow and circulation by running them at different times and using a couple drops of purple up to see flow. have removed 2 at this point. I am still monitoring flow etc, and making any adjustments that I feel will be best for the tank overall.:biggrin:

VFX
08-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Looking good Darryl!

A nice change from the old set up you had before. Not that there was anything wrong with your old set up, but this one looks more modern & had cleaner looking lines.

Good to see you made good use of the acrylic rods.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/dsaundry/shop34g/P1010529.jpg

I like all the Korallia's in this shot! You should keep them & give your fish some exercise :mrgreen:

Which reminds me... I need to post some pics of my tank at some point.

Wayne
08-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I almost lost my citron goby in my recent move. He was there before anything was disturbed. I removed all the fish and rock and I never found him till I was putting putting the live rock back in! He was alive in the bucket (with water of course) he must have grabbed onto a peice of live rock to hide :) BTW he is moved now and doing fine ;)

dsaundry
09-06-2010, 01:50 AM
All the hydors would have been like a tornado, but by trying a few of the different size pumps I think I have the flow i want in there now, I will try to post a newer picture really soon, if I can remember to bring the darn camera with me to work.